[UNIX] SimpleBBS Stores Database with Insufficient Permissions Settings

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 03/10/03

    From: support@securiteam.com
    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 10 Mar 2003 15:13:56 +0200

    - - promotion

    In the US?

    Contact Beyond Security at our new California office
    housewarming rates on automated network vulnerability
    scanning. We also welcome ISPs and other resellers!

    Please contact us at: 323-882-8286 or ussales@beyondsecurity.com
    - - - - - - - - -

      SimpleBBS Stores Database with Insufficient Permissions Settings

    SUMMARY

     <http://www.simplemedia.org/> SimpleBBS is an "opensource bulletin board
    system. Owner of forum has full access to - for example - add new forums,
    remove topics, and edit graphics of forum - and best of all - easily!
    Users can leave messages and reply to other topics, or even upload own
    avatar to be shown under his/her name". Lack of adequate permission
    settings on the users.php file (the file acting as a user's database)
    allows a remote attacker to retrieve it.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * SimpleBBS version 1.0.6

    Immune systems:
     * SimpleBBS version 1.0.7

    Exploit:
    By accessing the following URL:
    http://hostname/simplebbs/users/users.php

    It is possible to retrieve a long list of items with a similar syntax to:
    ID|||username|||password|||description|||email|| || || || ||| || || ||

    As you can see, the second property is the password (the password itself
    is MD5 protected).

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:flur@flurnet.org> flur.

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.