[UNIX] Open WebMail "background" Magic Info

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 11/24/02

    From: support@securiteam.com
    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 24 Nov 2002 16:39:06 +0200

    - - promotion

    Beyond Security would like to welcome Tiscali World Online
    to our service provider team.
    For more info on their service offering IP-Secure,
    please visit http://www.worldonline.co.za/services/work_ip.asp
    - - - - - - - - -

      Open WebMail "background" Magic Info

    SUMMARY

     <http://openwebmail.org/> Open WebMail is a perl web mail program that
    runs on UNIX operational systems. A vulnerability in the product allows
    remote attackers to reveal the user who is running the Open WebMail
    process.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * Open WebMail version 1.71

    When you enter an invalid username (user that doesn't exist on the
    system), the WebMail returns to you a "very nice screen" like it:

    ---
    Open WebMail ERROR
    user does not exist
    Open WebMail version 1.71
    ---
    Now if you try to copy the information with your mouse all message that
    returned to you...
    ---
    Open WebMail ERROR
    user does not exist
    euid=0, egid=80 80 80, mailgid=6
    Open WebMail version 1.71
    ---
    As can be seen, very sensitive information regarding the program is
    revealed.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    The information has been provided by  <mailto:db-bugtraq@freebsdbr.com.br>
    FreeBSDbr Bugtraq DataBase.
    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    Relevant Pages

    • [UNIX] Buffer Overflow in PostgreSQL (cash_words)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] FlashFXP sites.dat Decryption
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] LKL, Linux Key Logger
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] WPoison SQL Injection Stress Testing
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] Traceroute Not Requiring the "s" Bit