[UNIX] KGhostView Arbitrary Code Execution

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 10/12/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: 12 Oct 2002 16:16:48 +0200

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  KGhostView Arbitrary Code Execution

SUMMARY

KGhostView includes a DSC 3.0 parser from GSview, which is vulnerable to a
buffer overflow while parsing a specially crafted .ps input file. It also
contains code from gv 3.5.x which is vulnerable to another buffer overflow
triggered by malformed postscript or Adobe PDF files.

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
 * KGhostView of any KDE release between KDE 1.1 and KDE 3.0.3a

Impact:
Viewing certain Postscript or PDF files can result in the execution of
arbitrary code placed in the file and as a result opens possibilities for
any remote manipulation under the local user account.

Solution:
Apply the patch listed in section 5 to kdegraphics/kghostview, or update
to KDE 3.0.4.

kdegraphics-3.0.4 can be downloaded from
<http://download.kde.org/stable/3.0.4>
http://download.kde.org/stable/3.0.4 : 6065219c825102c843ba582c4a520cac
kdegraphics-3.0.4.tar.bz2

Patch:
A patch for KDE 3.0.3 is available from
<ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/security_patches>
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/security_patches :
9e33962406ac123e4fbdab20b4123ccf post-3.0.3-kdegraphics-kghostview.diff

A patch for KDE 2.2.2 is available from
<ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/security_patches>
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/security_patches :
62a1178c6a1730cbab98bbc825adafe9 post-2.2.2-kdegraphics-kghostview.diff

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:mueller@kde.org> Dirk
Mueller.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [UNIX] Konqueror Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Users of Konqueror and other KDE software that uses the KHTML rendering ... Apply the appended patch to kdelibs, update to the kdelibs-3.0.3a or, as a ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [kde] Re: A beginning programmer
    ... languages to start trying to help everyone here at KDE ... just automating things better or providing certain workflows in a more ... A patch is often only understandable in the context it applies to, ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • RE: Updating source code manually
    ... on KDE whilst KDE is running. ... without my PC for that long, and there is no individual port for Kate. ... the patch i've received is about 10 lines of code and the problem that it ... Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Personalised patches in ports
    ... A current example, which was no problem under Linux, is giving me a bit ... I use pdftotext extensively to translate pdf files to ascii text. ... under Linux I just patch the sources to not check for same. ... the patch, re-bzip the sources, and then try to force an upgrade, the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: kde 3.5.3
    ... Sie ist in KDE nicht behoben. ... Ich vermute mal, dass die diesen Patch integriert haben, obwohl er noch ... SUSE nimmt in diesem Fall die aktuellen Quellen. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde)