[NT] MSN Groups Makes Cross Site Scripting Easy

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 08/05/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Mon,  5 Aug 2002 17:00:19 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  MSN Groups Makes Cross Site Scripting Easy

SUMMARY

My Groups is a list of links to all the MSN groups that you have created,
joined, or marked as interesting places to visit again. When you are
signed in with your Microsoft .NET Passport, your My Groups list can be
viewed:
 o On the MSN People & Chat page.
 o On the MSN Groups home page.
 o When you click My Groups near the upper-left corner of any MSN Groups
page.

Groups that you join or create are automatically added to your My Groups
list. You can also add groups you like to visit by clicking Add to "Groups
I Visit" on the "What's New" page of the group.

Groups.MSN.com allows any member to upload any file and share them with
others. This means that malicious users can upload files that can contain
Active Content such as JavaScript and VBScript. Some of these file types
include:
 o HTML
 o SWF

DETAILS

Vulnerable site:
 * http://groups.msn.com/

Vendor status:
A. secure@microsoft.com informed on 27 th May 2002 (2 months ago)
B. On the 30th May we got confirmation that they opened an "MSRC
investigation".
C. ID for this investigation is "ID is [MSRC 1174dg]"
D. No fix has been provided yet, nor any further feedback from Microsoft.

Demonstrations:
 <http://groups.msn.com/eyeonsecurity/page.msnw>
http://groups.msn.com/eyeonsecurity/page.msnw
Before accessing this page, you will be asked to authenticate. The above
link contains two examples:
b33p.html
c00kie.swf

Both of these examples will popup an alert with your cookie data.

You may also link to these examples from Hotmail by sending an e-mail as
demonstrated at "Demo 3":
<http://eyeonsecurity.net/advisories/flash-demo/>
http://eyeonsecurity.net/advisories/flash-demo/

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:obscure@eyeonsecurity.net>
Obscure.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [UNIX] Buffer Overflow in PostgreSQL (cash_words)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [TOOL] FlashFXP sites.dat Decryption
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [TOOL] LKL, Linux Key Logger
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] Norton Antivirus Content Filter and Virus Protection Can By Passed
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [TOOL] WPoison SQL Injection Stress Testing