[NT] Macromedia Sitespring Cross-Site Scripting

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 07/17/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:05:25 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  Macromedia Sitespring Cross-Site Scripting

SUMMARY

A malicious user could use a default error page as the basis for a
cross-site scripting attack.

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
 * Macromedia Sitespring version 1.2.0 (277.1) on Windows 2000 Server

The default HTTP 500 error script does not check the contents of the error
ticket (et) parameter before outputting it. That makes it possible to
inject e.g. JavaScript in the URL.

http://server/error/500error.jsp?et=1>alert('KPMG')</script>

Vendor response:
The vendor was notified on 16 April 2002. The vendor has since removed the
trial software from the webpage. To our knowledge, there is no scheduled
release date for a patch.

Corrective action:
Replace the error script with a custom error page. If you do not know how
to create a .JSP file, simply create a standard 500-error page in html,
and rename it to .JSP.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:pgrundl@kpmg.dk> Peter
Gründl.

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.