[NT] Jigsaw Webserver DOS device DoS

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 07/17/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:56:03 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  Jigsaw Webserver DOS device DoS

SUMMARY

 <http://www.w3.org/> Jigsaw is W3C's leading-edge Web server platform,
providing a sample HTTP 1.1 implementation and a variety of other features
on top of an advanced architecture implemented in Java. A malicious user
can tie up working threads on the web server. When the web server runs out
of working threads, the webserver will no longer service web requests.

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
 * Jigsaw V2.2.1 Distribution on Windows 2000 Server

Immune systems:
 * Jigsaw V2.2.1 Dev/2.2/20020711 on Windows 2000 Server

Requests for /servlet/con never times out, and approximately 30 of these
requests are enough to tie up all working threads on the server. The
service needs to be restarted to recover.

Vendor response:
The vendor was notified on 27 May 2002. On 12 July, we verified that the
problem was corrected in the latest build (s020711).

Solution:
Upgrade to a newer version. This issue was first resolved in build
s020711, available here: <http://www.caucho.com/download/index.xtp>
http://www.caucho.com/download/index.xtp

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:pgrundl@kpmg.dk> Peter
Gründl.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Macro code
    ... >> All a web server is, is a program that accepts incoming connection ... >> requests, grants a connection, and satisfy's requests. ... the array index to designate which thread should use it. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Only 2 concurrent connections with window.open()?
    ... I am using client side JScript in Internet Explorer 6 SP1 to use a page to ... new browser windows get opened as expected, and it is evident that all are ... Active Server Pages 'Requests Executing' and 'Requests Queued' counters on ... client browser at any one time, i.e. they never reach the web server until ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript)
  • Re: What classes do I use to create a web proxy
    ... You could use a TcpListener object to listen for requests from the desktop application, and a TcpClient to connect to the original web server. ... You say that you "do not want to create a web service proxy nor do I want to do anything with web services". ...
  • Re: What classes do I use to create a web proxy
    ... You could use a TcpListener object to listen for requests from the desktop ... You say that you "do not want to create a web service proxy nor do I want to ... timeout and the web server regularly exceeds this, ...
  • Re: Update Performance
    ... that your transaction log file is on. ... >I have a stored procedure that is executed on every web request that we ... > On the web server, I get about 50 Requests a second. ... > If I comment out this line, I get about 350 Requests a second. ...