[UNIX] YaBB Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability (NULL)

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 06/23/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:42:07 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  YaBB Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability (NULL)

SUMMARY

 <http://yabb.xnull.com/> YaBB is a leading provider of free, downloadable
Perl forums for webmasters. A security vulnerability in the product allows
a remote attacker to insert malicious HTML and JavaScript into web pages
presented to users.

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
 * YaBB 1 Gold SP1 and earlier versions

When accessing a thread that does not exist, YaBB will give an error about
the board not existing.
Example:
http://some.site.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=BOARD&action=display&num=NULL

This will trigger an error in the CGI script and output the following:
This topic does not exist on this board. NULL : 96.

The problem here should be obvious. By constructing JavaScript code in
place of NULL, a malicious user can trick someone into running the code of
his or her choice, since YaBB does not filter user input/script output.

Exploit:
http://some.site.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=BOARD&action=display&num=>alert()</script>

Vendor status:
Vendor was notified 05/14/02.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by
<mailto:
methodic@bigunz.angrypacket.com> methodic.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [UNIX] Sensitive Information Disclosure Vulnerability Found in SIPS (PHP)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... A security vulnerability in the product allows attackers to get access to ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] More Local Root Vulnerabilities during Installation of Tarantella Enterprise
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... in the installation process, which would allow local attackers to change ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] Lysias Lidik Web Server Suffers from a Directory Traversal Vulnerability
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... outside the normally bounding HTML root directory. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] My Postcards Magiccard.cgi Directory Traversal Vulnerability
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... My Postcards is a ready-to-use Web ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Path Disclosure Bug in TOPo
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Beyond Security would like to welcome Tiscali World Online ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)