[UNIX] Multiple Vulnerabilities in Solaris in.rarpd

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 05/23/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:48:19 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  Multiple Vulnerabilities in Solaris in.rarpd

SUMMARY

Rarpd is a reverse ARP protocol for small to medium sized networks. In the
Solaris implementation (in.rarpd) there seems to be 3 remotely exploitable
buffer overflows, 2 locally exploitable and 2 cases of format string
exploitability.

DETAILS

Vulnerable code:
In the functions error and syserr there contains 2 common syslog calls
without format strings.

static void
syserr(s)
char *s;
{
        char buf[256];

        (void) sprintf(buf, "%s: %s", s, strerror(errno));
        (void) fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s\n", cmdname, buf);
        syslog(LOG_ERR, buf);
        exit(1);
}

/* VARARGS1 */
static void
error(char *fmt, ...)
{
        char buf[256];
        va_list ap;

        va_start(ap, fmt);
        (void) vsprintf(buf, fmt, ap);
        va_end(ap);
        (void) fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s\n", cmdname, buf);
        syslog(LOG_ERR, buf);
        exit(1);
}

There are two vulnerable calls that could be exploited locally or
remotely.

Vendor status:
Vendor has not been contacted yet.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:davidreign@hotmail.com>
david evlis reign.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [UNIX] ProBoards Forums Contains a XXS Vulnerability
    ... A user viewing the post would see a popup message containing his cookie. ... Vendor was notified and the vulnerability was fixed almost immediately. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] Macromedia Sitespring Cross-Site Scripting
    ... The vendor was notified on 16 April 2002. ... Replace the error script with a custom error page. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Sun AnswerBook2 Gettransbitmap Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
    ... there are no vendor patches available. ... Otherwise, disable AnswerBook2. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] IcrediBB Contains a Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Vendor has been notified of all issues discussed. ... This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Integer overflow in PHP array_pad() function
    ... execute PHP commands to gain administrative privileges. ... Vendor was contacted. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)