[UNIX] CardBoard Greeting Card CGI Allows Remote Users to Execute Arbitrary Commands

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 10/01/01

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Subject: [UNIX] CardBoard Greeting Card CGI Allows Remote Users to Execute Arbitrary Commands
Date: Mon,  1 Oct 2001 08:14:24 +0200 (CEST)

- - promotion

When was the last time you checked your server's security?
How about a monthly report?
http://www.AutomatedScanning.com - Know that you're safe.
- - - - - - - - -

  CardBoard Greeting Card CGI Allows Remote Users to Execute Arbitrary
Commands

SUMMARY

A vulnerability in the <http://www.kilohana.com/dev/> CardBoard greeting
card web software has been discovered. The vulnerability allows Remote
users to execute arbitrary commands on the server with the privileges of
the web server (usually 'nobody').

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
CardBoard CGI version 2.4

It seems that the CardBoard CGI does not properly filter out user-supplied
input. A remote attacker can place arbitrary shell commands in the
recipient field causing them to be executed when the greeting card is
sent.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:crazy_einstein@yahoo.com>
Crazy Einstein.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: mouse/keyboard jump
    ... Try reducing tap sensitivity, or put a piece of cardboard over it temporarily to see if that is it. ... There is a remote possibility that it is broken and the pressure on the keyboard is being picked up as input on the pad. ... "Bob I" wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Red Light Flashes on Receiver...Spooky!
    ... But if I cover the IR receiver with cardboard won't that stop my remote from ... The Media Center PC only recognizes the MCE remote control. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: "Swingtown" or "Fear Itself"?
    ... Barry Margolin wrote: ... I used to have a cardboard between my two recorders and held the remote ...
    (rec.arts.tv)