[NT] Multiple Windows-Based FTP Servers Vulnerable to DoS under Windows 98

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 08/02/01

From: support@securiteam.com
To: list@securiteam.com
Subject: [NT] Multiple Windows-Based FTP Servers Vulnerable to DoS under Windows 98
Date: Thu,  2 Aug 2001 07:37:11 +0200 (CEST)

  Multiple Windows-Based FTP Servers Vulnerable to DoS under Windows 98

SUMMARY

Several FTP server products running under Windows 98 (first edition) with
the 'CON\CON' kernel patch by Microsoft are vulnerable to a security
weakness that allows remote attackers to cause the program crash, bringing
down the whole operating system ("Blue screen of death").

DETAILS

Vulnerable systems:
BisonFTP version 4R1
Broker FTP Server version 5.9.5.0
G6 FTP Server version 2.15 (a.k.a. Bulletproof FTP Server)
GuildFTPD version 0.922
SurgeFTP version 2.0f
WarFTPD version 1.71
WFTPD version 3.00 R5

Immune systems:
ArGoSoft FTP Server version 1.2.2.2
Serv-U FTP Server version 3.0

Issuing a GET command with a DOS device name to the above vulnerable
servers, causes the products to strange behavior from consuming 100% CPU
time to completely crashing the computer.

Some FTP servers have filtering algorithms to prevent issuing a GET for
the 'AUX' device, but this filtering can easily be circumvented by
referring to the device as 'AUX.' (with a trailing dot).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:byterage@yahoo.com>
ByteRage.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Slow network transfer within LAN
    ... well I have always noticed with Windows that when you ... When I use to run an FTP server on ... Slow network performance occurs if you copy files to a domain controller ... Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express ...
  • Re: windows 2000 unwanted data transfer
    ... and unneeded services running such as WWW or FTP that your ... computer is being used as a FTP server or such. ... >A windows 2000 professional pc is used to access internet on a PPPOE ... The charges are based on the volume of data transfer. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: windows 2000 professional hacked with Serv-U FTP Server
    ... > FTP server and was uploading movies files to this box. ... > How did hacked get into the machine and installed Serv-U ftp server? ... consider formatting and reinstalling Windows and all other software ... documents to remove the vulnerabilities in the default install of Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • RE: bypassing a proxy server
    ... imagine that there isn't a tool for windows which does the same. ... Also i cannot see the logic of your anonymous ftp server, ... is that the gateway machine is Windows 2000 and it's running a proxy ... can't get through to the FBSD ftp server. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Networking with PCs
    ... Uhm, ok. ... disappeared which means that all my computers on my network report the ... but then I'd have to install a FTP server on the Windows ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)