Re: Surprise! Windows Updates

From: Frank Bernard (cfrankb_at_GMAIL.COM)
Date: 05/18/05

Date:         Wed, 18 May 2005 13:51:21 -0700
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

I found a way to turn off the AU "restart later" annoyance:

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer
Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->
Windows Update -> Re-Prompt for restart...

The intuitive fix would be to set it to "Disabled" but that will
default the Re-Prompt interval to 10 minutes! So instead I have to
Enable it and then specify a longer interval such as 500+ minutes.

--
NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.

  • Mouse clicks wont work inside documents.
    ... Two days ago while I was writing a document the windows update installer ... When the restart was finished I opened word and opened the document I had ... So I used the Office installer disk to change the office by making Word "not ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Windows XP auto updates stinks!!
    ... Windows Update did an automatic update, and then auto restart, during the night. ... Bottomline, if Update wouldn't restart until I told it it was O.K., I would have first manually saved the document and then rebooted. ... I've *never* seen any such reminder. ... as it was never a good idea to let updates install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP auto updates stinks!!
    ... Windows Update did an automatic update, and then auto restart, during the night. ... Bottomline, if Update wouldn't restart until I told it it was O.K., I would have first manually saved the document and then rebooted. ... I've *never* seen any such reminder. ... as it was never a good idea to let updates install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP auto updates stinks!!
    ... Windows Update did an automatic update, and then auto restart, during the ... Bottomline, if Update wouldn't restart until I told it it was O.K., I would ... The reminder is not a configurable feature that I turned ON. ... as it was never a good idea to let updates install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vista updater closes down open applications without warning pr
    ... Are you currently running Vista or Vista SP1? ... If SP1, did it come preinstalled on the machine, did you install it via Windows Update, or did you install it manually? ... "Windows Update will remind you if you need to restart your PC to continue ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)