MS05-019 Breaks VPN

From: Darryl J Roberts (DarrylJR_at_SEU.COM)
Date: 04/20/05

    Date:         Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:11:19 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    After installing the update in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-019 on
    two servers at a customer site, we are no longer able to connect via VPN
    to terminal services on those servers. (Other servers that did not have
    the security bulletins from last Tuesday installed can connect via VPN.)

    After many hours over two days working with Microsoft Product Support
    Services, we discovered that forcing the MTU size down allowed the
    client to connect to terminal services. Today Microsoft PSS reported
    the they have confirmed that there is a problem with ICMP messages being
    incorrectly discarded (other have opened PSS cases about this issue).
    This could be why the MTU size is not being set correctly.

    There will be an update to the patch in MS05-019, but as of this time,
    that update is not available. A Microsoft KB article is being written
    and has been assigned the number KB898060, but as to this time, that
    article is not publicly available.

    I will be uninstalling the update for Security Bulletin MS05-019 from
    our customers servers this evening and waiting for the corrected patch
    before reinstalling it.

    --
    Darryl J. Roberts, MCSE, MCP+I, CompTIA CTT+, CSSA
    Software Engineering Unlimited, IT Professional Services Consultancy

    • RE: New DC 2003 R2 with SBS2003 replication problem. Need Help !
      ... SBS domain and you get some KCC errors on SBS. ... Step-by-Step Guide to Adding and Managing Additional Servers in a Windows ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • W32/SQLSlammer - lessons learned
      ... Administrator access. ... in the case of SQL it often ... Microsoft is if you can sit in front ... can I trust a security bulletin to give me the information I ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?
      ... majority of end users do not want to invest large amounts of time ... They can't make a secured OS, their servers ... their messenger took ICQ from the market. ... While hobbyists love anything not Microsoft, in the medical profession, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Multiple copies of the Language Bar
      ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... Hi, thanks for the response. ... Both the Windows 2003 Standard servers and the SBS2003 are all at ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: 4.4.7 NDRs on sent email - messages remain in STMP queue until expiry
      ... the free email servers seems very hit and miss. ... This issue occurs may because the Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition ... Microsoft Exchange Server servers or on Microsoft Windows SMTP servers. ... Please collect the MPS Report for Exchange: ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)