Re: autorun problems after installing latest MS patches ms05-016 to -022 on Win2k server

From: Dave Korn (davek_throwaway_at_HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: 04/13/05

    Date:         Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:00:00 +0100
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    ----Original Message----

    ------------------->snip!<-------------------
    ------------------->snip!<-------------------

    ------------------->snip!<-------------------
    > Anyone any good ideas?

      Yes, me. Check the perms on the registry keys using regedt32. Perhaps
    some misguided attempt to tighten registry permissions has left the per-user
    startup keys without read-permissions for the user in question?

      LOL, that would be just like SOOooooo Microsfot!

        cheers,
          DaveK

    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.