MS KB887742 Install and EFS

From: Mike Libby (mlibby_at_ISX.COM)
Date: 03/18/05

    Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:50:59 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

                I have encountered a problem with installing the fix for
    KB887742 onto an XP professional machine in a domain environment breaking
    EFS. This happens whether or not you login with a domain account. The
    error received when encrypting objects is "Recovery policy configured for
    this system contains invalid recovery certificate". I am curious to see if
    anyone else has experienced a similar problem and if so, if there are
    suggested solutions to the problem.

    Thanks,

    Mike Libby

    ISX Corporation

    --
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.