XP SP2 netfw.inf issues

From: Serge Vondandamo (svondandamo_at_WANADOO.FR)
Date: 04/09/05

    Date:         Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:52:10 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hello,

    I have installed xp sp2 on a computer member of an NT Domain and customized
    the Netfw.inf file manually but after installing the INF file on the
    computer, I am experiencing the following issues:

    - When xp sp2 computer are members of a NT Domain, the domainprofile
    is not used and only the standardprofile is used! I have tested with Active
    directory and there no issue.
    - On the Custom scope list, there is limitation of numbers of IP
    subnets and addresses one can put there! When you reach 12 or 15 Subnets, it
    does not work and it deactivates the related Exceptions/ports thus causing
    several troubles. This is not documented by Microsoft.

    It seems like there are several problem related to the core concept of the
    XP SP2 Firewall and the usage of the Netfw.inf related to Domainprofiles and
    Custom subnets Scope list limitation.

    Does anyone know about this?

    Regards
    Serge

    --
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.

    • Re: Slow boot after installing SP2
      ... >>tons of disk space. ... the time it takes his PC to get to the desktop *after* installing SP2. ... If the only change in his system was the installation of SP2, ... > Have you gone through the startup listand disabled the ones you do not ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: How do I completely uninstall MS Office 2003?
      ... the numbers of others who began crashes immediately after installing SP2. ... They'll never convince me SP2 doesn't have something to do with it. ... | problem that we reformatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows, ... Since we reinstalled Office 2003 after reinstalling ...
      (microsoft.public.office.misc)
    • Re: How do I completely uninstall MS Office 2003?
      ... Installing SP2 was one of several things we did at about the time we started ... to get the problem of the computer hanging up and programs not responding. ... wasn't necessarily SP2 that was causing the problem, ... Since we reinstalled Office 2003 after reinstalling Windows, ...
      (microsoft.public.office.misc)
    • Internet Connection Lost After Installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (WinXP SP2)
      ... Both of them sit behind a wireless router ... after installing the first set of necessary ... install Microsoft's recommended SP2, ... proceeded uneventfully and soon I had my brand new and shiny WinXP SP2. ...
    • Re: Being Polite
      ... connecting USB devices before installing the software, ... > complaints, responds and just smart ass reply. ... > people do updates, because some fear of doing something ... > And for those that have been having problems with SP2, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)