Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-004 - ASP.NET Path Validation Vulnerability (887219)

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper_at_RC.ON.CA)
Date: 02/09/05

    Date:         Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:35:17 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Please be advised that our parsing routine incorrectly missed the fact that Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is also vulnerable to this issue. I've revised the notice below accordingly and will check and prevent this from happening again.

    My apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    ASP.NET Path Validation Vulnerability (887219)

    Bulletin URL:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-004.mspx>

    Version Number: 1.0
    Issued Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2005
    Impact of Vulnerability: Information Disclosure, possible Elevation of Privilege
    Maximum Severity Rating: Important
    Patch(es) Replaced: None.
    Caveats: None

    Tested Software:
    Affected Software:
    ------------------
    * Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0
    * Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

    Affected Components:
    --------------------
    * ASP.NET

    Technical Description:
    * Path Validation Vulnerability - CAN-2004-0847. A canonicalization vulnerability exists in ASP.NET that could allow an attacker to bypass the security of an ASP.NET Web site and gain unauthorized access. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take a variety of actions, depending on the specific contents of the website.

    This email is sent to NTBugtraq automagically as a service to my subscribers. (v4.01.1837.24459)

    Cheers,
    Russ - Senior Scientist - TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor

    --
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.