Windows Firewall update available

From: Marc Bejarano (ntbugtraq_at_BEEJ.ORG)
Date: 12/14/04

    Date:         Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:16:07 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    in addition to the critical updates related to the recently released
    security bulletins, windowsupdate.microsoft.com it telling me there is
    another critical update available for my XP SP2 system. the "Details" link
    pops up a window with the following info:
    ===
    Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)
    Date last published: 12/14/2004
    Download size: 384 KB
    This update helps narrow the definition of the My network, or local subnet,
    restriction option in the Windows Firewall. This is helpful in situations
    where the Windows Firewall would consider a large network to be on the
    local subnet because of how the dial-up software configured the route
    tables. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    System Requirements
    Recommended CPU: Not specified.
    Recommended memory: Not specified.
    Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
    How to Uninstall
    This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control
    Panel.
    Help and support
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36671&clcid=0x409
    ===
    KB article 886185 doesn't appear to be available, yet, so that's all the
    information available.

    cheers,
    marc

    --
    Editor's Note: The 43rd Most Powerful Person in Networking says...
    Register today to take the TruSecure ICSA exam by 12/31/04  at

    • Re: Also having the word problem
      ... I have also been experiencing the same problem on my network and have been ... unable to "save as" under a different file name onto our Windows 98 server ... The problem was sorted by uninstalling the critical update ref ... I have reported this to microsoft in the UK, ...
    • RE: Internet Backgammon
      ... mine stopped working also on all 4 computers on my network. ... This is not related to the latest critical update IMHO as mine quit working first, THEN I went to check updates to be sure that wasn't needed. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
    • Criticial update
      ... I have the following XP Hotfix - KB828028 visible in ... Add/Remove programs on a local PC on our network. ... Isn't this the critical update that MS wants us all to ...
      (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
    • microsoft updates and network
      ... Every time I install a critical update on XP I lose all my ... network short cuts and have to reinstall. ...