Windows file I/O not internationalized

From: Paul Szabo (psz_at_MATHS.USYD.EDU.AU)
Date: 10/15/04

    Date:         Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:46:12 +1000
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    We have a Windows application (TCL script really) that wants to find the
    IP address of the PC it runs on; it effectively does

      cmd /c "ipconfig > ip.txt"

    then reads the file. This works fine everywhere, except... I have a user
    with WinXP set to Chinese language. For this user, the file stops after
    "Ethernet adapter" (contains just 53 characters). Doing ipconfig without
    redirection in a CommandPrompt window works fine and says the equivalent
    of "Local Area Connection" in Chinese.

    Seems to me that file I/O redirection, angle-brackets or pipe symbols,
    stop at the first non-English character. Is this a known bug or feature?
    If so, does anyone know a workaround? Otherwise, does this have security
    implications?

    Cheers,

    Paul Szabo - psz@maths.usyd.edu.au http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
    School of Mathematics and Statistics University of Sydney 2006 Australia

    --
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.

    • [Full-Disclosure] Windows file I/O not internationalized
      ... We have a Windows application that wants to find the ... with WinXP set to Chinese language. ... Seems to me that file I/O redirection, angle-brackets or pipe symbols, ... stop at the first non-English character. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: language pack????
      ... Highlight the message in the header list, ... > When I place my cursor on a senders email address (the sender's OS is ... > and install a "Simplifed Chinese language pack". ... > is Windows XP, IE is my broswer, email is OutLook Express. ...
    • Re: language pack????
      ... > encoding for Chinese language. ... Highlight the message in the header list, ... >> is Windows XP, IE is my broswer, email is OutLook Express. ...
    • Re: language support
      ... Compaq ships OEM version of Windows XP and for the same reason Windows XP is ... Windows XP setup files are located in ... > to view chinese language now all it shows me are little bitty boxes where ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)