Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-033 - Vulnerability in Microsoft Excel Could Allow Remote Code Execution (886836)

From: Russ Cooper (Russ.Cooper_at_TRUSECURE.CA)
Date: 10/12/04

  • Next message: Russ Cooper: "Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-034 - Vulnerability in Compressed (zipped) Folders Could Allow Remote Code Execution (873376)"
    Date:         Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:24:01 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-033:
    Vulnerability in Microsoft Excel Could Allow Remote Code Execution (886836)

    Bulletin URL:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-033.mspx>

    Version Number: 1.0
    Issued Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2004
    Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution
    Maximum Severity Rating: Critical
    Patch(es) Replaced: MS03-050
    Caveats: None

    Tested Software:
    Affected Software:
    ------------------
    * Microsoft Office 2000 Software Service Pack 3 Microsoft Office 2000 Service Pack 3 Software:
    - Excel 2000
    <http://tinyurl.com/4axtn>
    * Microsoft Office XP Software Service Pack 2 Microsoft Office XP Software:
    - Excel 2002
    <http://tinyurl.com/62clp>
    * Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac:
    - Excel 2001 for Mac
    <http://tinyurl.com/566po>
    * Microsoft Office v. X for Mac Microsoft Office v. X for Mac:
    - Excel v. X for Mac
    <http://tinyurl.com/6vzhq>

    Technical Description:
    ----------------------
    * Excel Vulnerability - CAN-2004-0846: A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Excel. If a user is logged on with administrative privileges, an attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of the affected system.

    This email is sent to NTBugtraq automagically as a service to my subscribers. (v4.01.1664.40858)

    Cheers,
    Russ - Senior Scientist - TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor

    --
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.

  • Next message: Russ Cooper: "Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-034 - Vulnerability in Compressed (zipped) Folders Could Allow Remote Code Execution (873376)"

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: PC - MAC compatibility
      ... Here are some features you'll find only on the Mac version of Office: ... will be sharing EXCEL and WORD files remotely with a person who has a PC. ... Before buying I was unaware of compatibility problems between Microsoft ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office)
    • Re: Excel causes system freeze
      ... Are you getting the spinning ball or the Error Reporting dialog when Excel ... Microsoft makes no warranties, express, implied or statutory, as to the ... on this system freeze bug, posted a bug to Apple since we determined that it ... The only app to crash on my Mac is Excel. ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office.excel)
    • Re: OpenOffice versus NeoOffice
      ... started using Excel before M$ bought it. ... Powerpoint was bought. ... product, bought by Microsoft. ... Microsoft applications were available for the Mac. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Re: MS Access
      ... If you're question is interpreted to mean, "Why doesn't Microsoft *make* ... MS Access for the Mac?" ... used with Excel and MS Query. ... This works because MS Access can save reports and tables in Excel ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office)
    • Re: Benefits of upgrading to Excel2003
      ... You probably don't have access to Excel 2002 and excel 2003 so I've ... Key new features in Microsoft Excel ... Web queries to Extensible Markup Language files. ... If you are not using the specific language version of Microsoft Office ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.misc)