Re: [Full-Disclosure] RE: Disclosure policy in Re: RealPlayer vulnerabilities

From: Tim Johnson (tjohnson_at_SANDISK.COM)
Date: 10/08/04

    Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:58:56 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

            Actually, this is overly simplistic. Especially when we are
    dealing with home users, immediate disclosure to the public is
    irresponsible.

            My parents are not subscribed to this or any other security
    bulletin mailing list, for example, and even though I try to keep them
    as up to date as possible, the chances that they are going to be able to
    update their system immediately is pretty slim unless we're talking
    about a patch distributed via AU. The implication that they chose not to
    heed the warning is ludicrous.

            But even in the case of a business, assuming that everyone can
    just apply every patch that comes down the pipe blindly and hope for the
    best is unreasonable.

            Like Drew, I believe in Full Disclosure. But are you really
    telling me that it is reasonable to give the vendor time to test a
    patch, but not the end users?