Re: CWS = Crummy Windows Security

From: Mark Tassin (mark.tassin_at_US.NUFARM.COM)
Date: 10/04/04

    Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:26:26 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    >CWS, CoolWebSearch, is a particularly nasty incarnation of ad-ware.
    >Rossano Ferraris (rossano.ferrarisNOSPAM@libero.it) and I have
    >collaborated to develop a simple procedure to remove it from an
    >NT4-W2K-WXP box.

    >CWS is widely discussed on the web, but it's poorly understood and
    >procedures to remove it are often lengthy, cumbersome and ineffective.
    >Users are sometimes forced to reformat the hard disk to remove it. CWS
    >comes in a variety of flavors. This post will only consider the most
    >insidious, which involves two components: a shield-DLL and a BHO
    >(Browser Helper Object).

    Why not simply use CoolWebShredder? Made by the author of Hijack This! It
    seems to nail all the CWS variants out there. And does it well I might
    add.

    Mark Tassin
    Network Systems Analyst/DBA
    Nufarm Americas Inc.
    1333 Burr Ridge Parkway
    Burr Ridge, IL 60521
    Phone: 708 754 3330
    email: mark.tassin@us.nufarm.com

    THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
    WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
    CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE. If the reader of this message is
    not the intended recipient or an employee of agent responsible for
    delivering the message to this intended recipient, you are hereby notified
    that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
    please delete, destroy, and do not save the message.
    Nufarm Americas Inc. and its affiliated companies. Fax: +1.708.754.0314.

    THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete, destroy, and do not save the message.

    Nufarm Americas, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Fax: +1.708.754.0314

    --
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.

    • Re: OT: Computer help!!
      ... I run Vista Ultimate in a VMware virtual machine so I can still ... compatibility window and launched it without problems. ... OK, it looks like CoolWebSearch isn't as benign as I thought it was, ... I had the CWS thing ages ago. ...
      (alt.guitar)
    • (OT) Spyware - CoolWebSearch
      ... I received the following link from a computer security-related newsletter ... components of CoolWebSearch) to collect a massive amount of personal ... CWS can be very difficult to remove from a system. ... There's a CWS detector/cleaner called CWShredder that is frequently ...
      (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
    • Re: OT: Computer help!!
      ... I run Vista Ultimate in a VMware virtual machine so I can still ... compatibility window and launched it without problems. ... it looks like CoolWebSearch isn't as benign as I thought it ... I had the CWS thing ages ago. ...
      (alt.guitar)
    • Re: Popup Ads in IE6 when using Google
      ... I emphasized the word 'reputable' because there are plenty of scam web sites ... claiming to remove CWS that only stick more malware on the computer. ... > Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... > Coolwebsearch and it's variety of variants, ...