Re: Need to purge vulnerable gdiplus.dll?

From: Francis Favorini (francis.favorini_at_DUKE.EDU)
Date: 09/29/04

    Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:18:50 -0400

    Jack Kohn <"jackbox LLAMA"@MYWAYCAMEL.COM> wrote...
    > On several machines, I'm still seeing a vulnerable version of
    > gdiplus.dll in the C:\Winnt\system32 directory, even after I
    > applied all of MS's MS04-028 patches applicable to the
    > machines. (Tom Liston's GDI Scan
    > ( actually reveals a few
    > vulnerable files left, but it's the ones in SYSTEM32 that really worry
    > me.)

    I'm running XP SP2 with Office 2003 SP1 and I also see gdiplus.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32. There is something very strange about this file. Depending on how you look at it, it changes. I have two different versions of the Res Kit utility filever.exe (details below). They each report a different version for this file.

    U:\>filever C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdiplus.dll
    --a-- W32i DLL ENU 5.1.3102.2180 shp 1,700,352 09-05-2001 gdiplus.dll

    U:\>filever2 C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdiplus.dll
    --a-- W32i DLL ENU 5.1.3097.0 shp 1,700,352 09-05-2001 gdiplus.dll

    Even stranger, if you check the very same file using a UNC path, the versions come out the same. (Rush is the machine in question.)

    U:\>filever \\rush\C$\WINDOWS\system32\gdiplus.dll
    --a-- W32i DLL ENU 5.1.3097.0 shp 1,700,352 09-05-2001 gdiplus.dll

    U:\>filever2 \\rush\C$\WINDOWS\system32\gdiplus.dll
    --a-- W32i DLL ENU 5.1.3097.0 shp 1,700,352 09-05-2001 gdiplus.dll

    Explorer properties through C:\ reports: 5.1.3102.2180
    Explorer properties through UNC reports: 5.1.3097.0

    Also, a byte comparison with gdiplus.dll from an unpatched system--which every tool I tried says is vulnerable--shows the one on the patched system is the same (i.e., vulnerable).

    U:\>fc /b C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdiplus.dll \\UNPATCHED\C$\WINDOWS\system32\gdiplus.dll
    Comparing files C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gdiplus.dll and \\UNPATCHED\C$\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\GDIPLUS.DLL
    FC: no differences encountered

    I am guessing this has something to do with the side-by-side dll thing, but I don't really know how it works. Anyone know? Makes it hard to know if you are really patched.

    Versions of filever.exe:
    U:\>filever L:\Windows\Tools\FILEVER.EXE
    ----- W32i APP ENU 5.0.1472.1 shp 40,208 01-07-1997 filever.exe
    May have come from NT Res Kit.

    U:\>filever "C:\Program Files\Support Tools\filever2.exe"
    --a-- W32i APP ENU 5.1.2600.0 shp 12,800 08-17-2001 filever2.exe
    This one came from XP SP2 support tools.

    GDIScan reports:
    Scanning Drive C:...
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11\MSO.DLL
       Version: 11.0.6360.0
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll
       Version: 6.0.2900.2180
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\GDIPLUS.DLL
       Version: 6.0.3264.0
       Version: 5.1.3102.2180
       Version: 5.1.2600.2180
       Version: 5.1.3097.0 <-- Possibly vulnerable (Windows Side-By-Side DLL)
       Version: 5.1.3101.0 <-- Possibly vulnerable (Windows Side-By-Side DLL)
       Version: 5.1.3102.2180
    Scan Complete.

    > A regedit search shows that C:\Winnt\System32\gdiplus.dll is
    > part of the
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs key.
    > The Value is the path/file name and the Data is "1."

    Same here.

    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.

    • Re: Hey LLLLarry...and you other right-wingnuts
      ... electronic voting machines failed to work. ... The courts in Colorado refused to allow the city's new consolidated "Election ... of logging as many news reports as he could in a searchable online database ...
    • Dan Rather, Disgraced Liar, Disgraces Himself with More Lies
      ... NEW YORK -- With the 2008 election season heating up, familiar scapegoats continue to take the hit for past hang-ups at the polls. ... But this week's edition of "Dan Rather Reports" explores other culprits: the very paper from which punch-card ballots were made, and glaring shortcuts in how certain touch-screen voting machines were produced. ... Rather's report begins with the current congressional bid by Democrat Christine Jennings, who lost her 2006 race by 369 votes in Florida's Sarasota County, where touch-screen machines showed 18,000 ballots with no candidate selected in that race. ...
    • Bad things happening to journaled filesystem machines; Was: Oops in kjournald
      ... I've had 4 machines do the similiar things. ... I use XFS exclusively; but have seen reports on XFS and EXT3. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    • Re: Software Update - Distribution Status; How is this reported back to SMS?
      ... corresponding data table in the sms database. ... the results of a distribution status and ... compliance reports are indicative of what vulnerabilites are found in your ... most machines have reported back that SP2 is indeed installed, ...
    • Re: Trend Micro SMB v3 Configuration Questions
      ... > of the problems described here about pushing it to other machines. ... > only reports and makes logs for machines where something was detected. ... > all threats found whether or not they were cleaned or deleted without ... You can probably schedule a report that would show details, ...