SUS server fails to synchronize with Windows Update servers

From: Joe Dance (dancejoe_at_MOORE.SC.EDU)
Date: 09/17/04

    Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:06:56 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    My SUS server failed to synchronize with the Windows Update servers,
    starting on 9/15/2004 at 5:02 AM.

    The first error was recorded in the SUS synch log as "Failed to write Read
    This First and End User License Agreement files to 'D:\SUS\content\cabs'.
    (Error 0x8007000D: The data is invalid.)

    It was recorded in the System event log as follows:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: WUSyncService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 101
    Date: 9/15/2004
    Time: 5:02:51 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: xxxx
    synchronization.

    View the synchronization log on this server for details...

    Additional Data
    The most common reason for failed synchronization is incorrect proxy server
    configuration...
    ====
    This error repeated several times. I reported that error to NTBugTraq, and
    Manuel Bernal responded that he had encountered the same problem, which was
    resolved by reinstalling SUS.

    Today, I started to get another error message, "Failed to expand the catalog
    file. (Error 0x8007000D: The data is invalid.)" Note that the error number
    is the same. The event log entry for this error is identical to the
    previous event log entry, except for the date and time.

    I checked the system date and time again - it was correct, since it syncs
    with a PDC automatically - but I reset it anyway, to no avail.

    I next removed SUS through Add/Remove Programs, removed the SUS website
    through the IIS Admin interface, removed the remaining files and folders
    through Windows Explorer, defragged, ran chkdsk, rebooted and reinstalled -
    only to get the same error.

    The Microsoft FAQ for SUS says that this error number is caused by an
    incorrect date on the SUS server. However, the event log entry for this
    error says that it is most commonly caused by incorrect proxy server
    settings.

    We do not use any proxy servers, but the default settings in SUS are to use
    a proxy server, and to discover it automatically. Of course, those settings
    have always worked, throughout our network. I changed the settings to not
    use a proxy server, rebooted and tried to synchronize the server. No dice,
    I got the same error.

    Today, another administrator responded that he too, has encountered sync
    errors over the last few days.

    I'm wondering if this problem could have anything to do with the latest
    round of patches, which I think I installed just before this problem
    started.

    Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Joe Dance
    University of South Carolina

    ---
    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----