FW: 2003 Server NTP time issue

From: Jeff Berner (JBerner_at_INFINITYCOMP.COM)
Date: 09/23/04

    Date:         Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:43:10 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I have an obscure NTP issue that I can't seem to find a solution for in Technet or the ever useful MS Concierge technicians. My IP phone manufacturers (Shoretel) have seen the same issue and are able to replicate it with 2003 servers

    We have a 2000/2003 network/domain with 3 2K3 DCs and many 2K member servers. Recently we had the last 2K DC server that was serving DHCP for our 4 subnets fail. A 2K3 DC was and still is the time server for the network. We moved the DHCP roll to our Cisco routers and set option 42 to point to the 2K3 DC acting as the time server.

    The issue is that while all of the computers that somehow authenticate to AD or have a trust relationship of some kind with the domain can use the NTP function of the network and properly sync time with the 2K3 server but none of my other network devices can which includes my IP phones. When DHCP was on a machine that was AD linked (the former 2K DC server) the IP phones did get the proper time.

    My current work around is to have option 42 on the routers point to the same outside NTP server that the DCs update from. While the traffic over the outbound pipes is very minimal for this I don't like having every computer and device in my domain sending NTP packets to outside servers for their synchronization services.

    Has anyone outside my IP phone manufacturer seen this kind of behavior? Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback,

    Jeff Berner

    Infinity Computers

    jberner@infinitycomp.com

    www.designapc.com <http://www.designapc.com/>

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----