Followup on .net framework service packs

From: Barry Dorrans (barryd_at_IDUNNO.ORG)
Date: 09/21/04

    Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:33:04 +0100
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    > Even better, there's an update to both .net frameworks, but for me, on
    > 3
    > servers, the update to v1.0 does not install, claiming in the event log
    >
    > Product: Microsoft .NET Framework (English) -- Error 1706.No valid
    > source
    > could be found for product Microsoft .NET Framework (English). The
    > Windows
    > installer cannot continue.

    A bit rude to followup my own mail, however ...

    As I mentioned the patch for v1.0 of the .net framework was failing when
    installing from Windows Update.

    Aaron Stebner bloged some details on what's happening at
    http://weblogs.asp.net/astebner/archive/2004/09/20/232236.aspx

    One way to check if the repair issue is affecting you is to grab the patch
    from downloads.microsoft.com (
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6978d761-4a92-4106-a9bc-83e78d4abc5b&DisplayLang=en
    ) and run it manually. The silent install that WindowsUpdate uses swallows
    the error message.

    To apply the patch follow the instructions on Aaron's blog entry to extract
    the files from the 1.0 download (
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d7158dee-a83f-4e21-b05a-009d06457787&DisplayLang=en
    )

    Note that if you do this V1.0 will register itself as the asp.net handler if
    you're running IIS. If you are running v1.1, or 2.0 betas you will need to
    re-register the correct version, either via the command line, changing to
    c:\windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework then change directory into the version
    number corresponding to the version you want to handle IIS requests and then
    run aspnet_regiis -i or by using the asp.net version switcher provided by
    Denis Bauer, hosted at
    http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----

    • Re: Virus in microsoft Patch
      ... "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call ... your system and install the patch mentioned above. ... You can also configure Automatic Updates to automatically ...
    • Same Problem
      ... Now as a result can't get windows running again any thoughts on how I can get around this? ... So I am a good techie and patch my system regularly. ... update says I have xx patches to install. ... So I get my Vista DVD and do a repair. ...
    • Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions
      ... The patch only changes the values stored for new files created by ... A filesystem is intact when all of its metadata is intact. ... in a virtual machine I connected it to the windows update service to ... see if there had been updates to the old install images I had, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Video editing in Linux?
      ... >> this is an absolute world of difference from windows. ... but theres so much to take in just to install an audio app. ... I was under the impression that you sent the source code and a patch ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: Security update 823559
      ... I've figured out how to install the patch on Windows XP. ... that it created a temporary directory which was deleted as ...
      (microsoft.public.security)