XP SP2 - profile detection without GPO's ?

From: Hahn, Frank (FHahn_at_ENCI.NL)
Date: 09/09/04

    Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:57:33 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    To find out which profile to activate (domain or standard), Windows Firewall
    in SP2 compares DNS suffixes from the network connections and the system
    that send the last GPO.

    Now, what if you don't have GPO's (like in NT4) ? How does it know when
    you're 'in the domain' ?

    First tests in my NT4 domain show that it doesn't know, and consequently
    startup in standard profile.
    Any idea's ?

    Frank
    If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or the
    sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----

    • Re: Blu-Ray player for $349
      ... Neither one is a standard, ... are staying away from this format war. ... With the marketplace dealing with Profile 1.0, Profile 1.1, Profile 2.0, ...
      (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
    • FREMO end profile and rail head positioning
      ... I have been wondering about the FREMO standard end forms: ... The rail top is 1300 mm from the floor. ... of the sleeper is visible from the 'oberbau' of the roadbed. ... leads to think that the sleeper is "buried" into the end profile and that ...
      (de.rec.modelle.bahn)
    • Re: Windows firewall spontaneously changes profiles
      ... a gp update from a dc that plumbs a new network name. ... I think the best-practice guidence is to set both domain and standard ... profile gp settings to be the same to cover this scenario where the box ... > The Windows Firewall has switched the active policy profile. ...
    • FREMO end profile and railhead positioning
      ... I have been wondering about the FREMO standard end forms: ... The rail top is 1300 mm from the floor. ... of the sleeper is visible from the 'oberbau' of the roadbed. ... leads to think that the sleeper is "buried" into the end profile and that ...
      (rec.models.railroad)
    • Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles
      ... I made the following addition to the registry per the Microsoft ... default profile locally, created the user profile directory on the ... It still kept closing the network connections before saving settings. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)