XP2 update bypasses proxy setting

From: John Gelavis (admin_at_TNET.COM.AU)
Date: 09/01/04

    Date:         Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:22:42 +0800
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hello,

    Have been lurking for a considerable time but find this list very
    useful. This is my first post so go easy.

    We have some clients who use a satellite downlink and a dialup uplink.
    Internet Explorer is set to use the local host as the proxy and with
    some software (Tellique) automagically uses the satellite for incoming
    data. Tellique gets an IP address for the satellite link dynamically.

    For some reason, and this is the first time it has happened that I know
    of, Windows Update bypasses the proxy settings and downloads the XP SP2
    update via the dialup link. Does anyone have an explanation or hopefully
    a solution?

    Regards,

    John Gelavis
    admin@tnet.com.au
    Dial Up and Broadband Internet Service Provider
    http://www.tnet.com.au/
    Phone: 08 92218200

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----