Windows XP SP2: Hang on ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with Intel with BIOS older than v1002

From: Jannie Hanekom (jannie.hanekom_at_STEEL-HOSTING.CO.UK)
Date: 08/12/04

    Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:57:15 +0100
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hi Russ

    We encountered a minor problem with ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboards
    with BIOS revisions older than v1002. Applying the service pack results
    in a hang during startup. Rebuilding the PC from scratch with
    slipstreamed XP SP2 media also results in a hang during the GUI mode
    setup startup. It's not know which module causes the hang, but it
    happens during the first graphical XP splash screen (the one with the
    sliding bar.)

    Upgrading the firmware to v1002 (available from the ASUS web site)
    solves the problem. The BIOS readme makes no mention of SP2, but
    doesn't appear to include full revision history.

    I have also seen mention on ISC's list (http://isc.sans.org/xpsp2.php)
    of SP2 problems with at least two other computers running different
    ASUS/Intel motherboards (the P4C800). Since I have not been able to
    contact the people who reported the problem, I do not yet know whether a
    BIOS update solves the problem for that motherboard.

    Jan Hanekom

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----