XP SP2 Possible conflict with ODBC Adminstrator->Text-Based Drivers

From: Scott Millsap (smillsap_at_SERVICELEDGER.COM)
Date: 08/12/04

    Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:29:23 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Since upgrading to SP2, the configuration of text based ODBC connections
    seems to corrupt the schema.ini file that stores things like the encoding,
    whether it's CSV or fixed field, field types, etc. It doesn't seem to write
    the field type and size any longer. I have to manually edit the file now.
    Anyone else run into this?

    Here is what it writes after my upgrade to SP2:
    [customers.csv]
    ColNameHeader=True
    Format=CSVDelimited
    MaxScanRows=30
    CharacterSet=ANSI
    Col1="CUSTOMER ID"
    Col2="BILL COMPANY"
    Col3="BILL FIRST NAME"
    Col4="BILL LAST NAME"
    Col5="BILL ADDRESS"
    Col6="BILL ADDRESS 2"
    Col7="BILL CITY"
    Col8="BILL STATE"
    Col9="BILL ZIP"
    Col10="BILL PHONE"
    [schema.ini]
    ColNameHeader=False
    Format=CSVDelimited
    MaxScanRows=25
    CharacterSet=ANSI

    Here is what it should have wrote:

    [customers.csv]
    ColNameHeader=True
    Format=CSVDelimited
    MaxScanRows=30
    CharacterSet=ANSI
    Col1="CUSTOMER ID" Char Width 255
    Col2="BILL COMPANY" Char Width 255
    Col3="BILL FIRST NAME" Char Width 255
    Col4="BILL LAST NAME" Char Width 255
    Col5="BILL ADDRESS" Char Width 255
    Col6="BILL ADDRESS 2" Char Width 255
    Col7="BILL CITY" Char Width 255
    Col8="BILL STATE" Char Width 255
    Col9="BILL ZIP" Char Width 255
    Col10="BILL PHONE" Char Width 255
    [schema.ini]
    ColNameHeader=False
    Format=CSVDelimited
    MaxScanRows=25
    CharacterSet=ANSI

    The only difference is that Char Width 255 wasn't successfully appended on
    the Colx keys. It seems to quietly save the configuration (even though it
    doesn't contain the proper information). However, when you go back into the
    configuration it complains the schema.ini file is corrupt (which it is).

    I can't imagine this has anything to do with network security that I was
    expecting out of SP2, did they touch on a little of everything?

    Scott Millsap
    Developer
    ServiceLedger Inc.
    smillsap@serviceledger.com

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    Want to reply to the person who sent this message? This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you'll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----