Symantec XP SP2: More Information

From: David Luxford (dluxford_at_SYMANTEC.COM)
Date: 08/11/04

    Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:44:23 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Well, well, all of the sudden I'm the most popular guy on NTBugTraq. :-)

    Thankyou for all of the positive feedback. I've also received a number of
    general questions about our SP2 support. Since I wasn't (and still am
    not) acting as an official representative of Symantec - haven't done
    electornic support in ages - I didn't think to cover this in my initial
    post. So, for those looking for more information on Symantec's XP SP2
    support, for both consumer and enterprise products, please see the
    following two links. And, dag nab it, the first doesn't fit on a
    72-character line, so you'll need to fixup the wrapping.

    Consumer XPSP2 FAQ
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html?Open&src=con_web_nam&tpre=us&tdir=

    Enterprise XPSP2 FAQ
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/enterprise/sp2/faq.html

    I remember somebody asked me if there were any white papers on our XPSP2
    support. On both sites, you'll find a Support Documents link that has
    several.

    David Luxford, CISSP
    Still Not An Official Representative
    Proud Member of the Symantec Client Security Team

    Senior Software Engineer
    Symantec Corporation
    Interoffice:
    Mobile:
    [503] 267-4530
    Email:
    dluxford@symantec.com
    www.symantec.com

    picture

    • Re: Stack Overflow in Third-Party ActiveX Controls affects Multiple Vendor Products Including So
      ... Vendor Products Including Some Symantec Consumer Products and Automated Support ... The vulnerability identified in the Symantec shipped controls could potentially result in a stack overflow requiring user interaction to exploit. ... Symantec worked closely with SupportSoft to ensure updates were quickly made available for the identified controls. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: XP SP2 - Statement of the NTBugtraq list
      ... Symantec is a great example. ... I wrote the XPSP2 support that is in Symantec Client Security ... We had a hard time getting builds and information out of Microsoft and are ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Command to run Norton Viral Scan run box or command prompt/ "navwn32" doesnt work
      ... I've spoken with their Tech Support a few times about the breaks with SP2, ... Symantec and their acquired company Norton make. ... researching in some dos forums to learn about it. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
    • Re: Why you should never buy Symantec/Norton products
      ... Big Mac wrote: ... >>Have you ever tried to get support from Symantec. ... What kind of support is that. ... and it included the Personal Firewall too ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: ZA Pro and NPF 2003
      ... >>> a attack history or log or attempted attacks? ... What I found was that the free Symantec support through their web site ... with their own support staff who continued to claim that Symantec was unable ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)