Uninstalling W2K SP4 from Recovery Console

From: George V. Lob (george_at_MAGNUM.COM)
Date: 05/07/04

    Date:         Fri, 7 May 2004 11:22:01 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem when trying to
    uninstall a service pack from the recovery console.

    I installed SP4 and after reboot I received and error that the
    ntoskrnl.exe was corrupt. So, I booted into the recovery console and ran
    spuninst.bat to uninstall the service pack and rebooted only to get a
    software error load dlls for kernel.

    Going back to read the output file for the spuninst.bat, I found that
    files for the c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ directory
    received Access Denied when being copied. I also noticed I received "The
    system cannot find the file or directory specified" for some files near
    the end of the batch process.

    Any ideas as to why these errors would show up? I would assume that all
    the files changed during the install would be in the uninstall
    directory, so I am baffled as to why some of the files were not found.

    Sincerely,

    George V. Lob
    IT Manager
    Magnum U.S. Investments, Inc.
    305-935-7544 x106

    This e-mail is confidential. If it is not intended for you, please
    return to sender with notification of incorrect address or please delete
    and notify sender. You may not disclose or use it in any way.

    -----
    Earn up to 10 credit course hours toward the TruSecure ICSA Practitioner (TICSA) Credential and receive a TICSA exam coupon by attending the Infosecurity Canada 2004 conference. Featured speaker, Marcus J. Ranum, TruSecure inventor of the proxy firewall will present on June 3 at 11:30 AM. Visit <https://ticsa.trusecure.com> for certification details and <http://www.infosecuritycanada.com> for conference information. Become TICSA certified and see what happens!
    -----

    • Re: W2K continually reboots (Just before log in) After updates?
      ... Thanks to John and jgrant07 - I followed John's steps for removing the update ... To uninstall hotfixes from the Recovery Console navigate to the hotfix's ... and reboot after the uninstall, it would still reboot the machine just ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Problem with some XP SP2 Push
      ... ended up with blue screen after reboot. ... I had to uninstall SP using ... recovery console to get them back up. ... failed computers. ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
    • RE: Failure to run setup.exe files from CD-roms
      ... "nass" wrote: ... for the DVD-ROM and reboot and see if windows will detect it. ... not Add/Remove programs that different and uninstall your DVD from there ... I am able to install other software from the drives. ...
    • Re: WIA and hibernation again
      ...   CCleaner is good for this since ... it shows more information in a bigger display and CCLeaner has other ... it, I would uninstall it. ... If you see those IS things after reboot, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Latest security updates from WindowsUpdate ruined my computer
      ... Ramesh, ... what to do in the recovery console so I just went back to the full reinstall ... recovery console instructions to uninstall the only hotfix in the $...$ list. ...