Re: NUL Character in message body locks up Outlook/Outlook Express

From: Jeff Stephenson (jeffstep_at_EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.COM)
Date: 04/14/04

    Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:47:20 -0700

    > I've quickly looked through the SMTP and POP3 RFC's and found
    > nothing that prohibits this kind of email message. The
    > messages get through unaltered on recent versions of qmail
    > and postfix.
    > Regards,
    > Ben Rampling

    From RFC 2822 (Internet Message Format):

       At the most basic level, a message is a series of characters. A
       message that is conformant with this standard is comprised of
       characters with values in the range 1 through 127 and interpreted as
       US-ASCII characters [ASCII].

    A NUL in a message body is not valid. That said, clearly neither
    Outlook nor Outlook Express should choke on such a message - I'm passing
    this information along to the appropriate people.

    Jeff Stephenson
    Microsoft Outlook Development

    Earn up to 10 credit course hours toward the TruSecure ICSA Practitioner (TICSA) Credential and receive a TICSA exam coupon by attending the Infosecurity Canada 2004 conference. Featured speaker, Marcus J. Ranum, TruSecure inventor of the proxy firewall will present on June 3 at 11:30 AM. Visit <> for certification details and <> for conference information. Become TICSA certified and see what happens!

    • Browse e-mail address in Entourage style.
      ... I've seen many times when mac people created a new e-mail ... from their addressbook that begin with those few characters type appeared. ... up on Outlook for PC. ... Regards, ...
    • Re: Strange Characters When Viewing Outlook Express messages
      ... Messages Received in Outlook Express Have Different Characters in the ... messages in the default encoding format regardless of the actual encoding ... changed something with whatever they use to produce the emails. ...
    • Re: import contacts/address book
      ... folders. ... You can use Outlook to import them into there. ... >> Regards, ... >> Microsoft Corporation ...
    • Re: Im sure glad I didnt buy a Mac Mini!
      ... replace them with chinese characters. ... This is not a problem that affects maccies. ... It's only a problem that affects people who use Outlook and who also get ... It's a problem for Windows users who try to deal with UTF-8 charsets. ...
    • Re: Sub Procedure does not work when perform with different window
      ... Best regards, ... Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook ... Access program can be accessed in different window users. ... Dim ol As Outlook.Application ...