Re: NUL Character in message body locks up Outlook/Outlook Express

From: Jeff Stephenson (jeffstep_at_EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.COM)
Date: 04/14/04

    Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:47:20 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    > I've quickly looked through the SMTP and POP3 RFC's and found
    > nothing that prohibits this kind of email message. The
    > messages get through unaltered on recent versions of qmail
    > and postfix.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ben Rampling

    From RFC 2822 (Internet Message Format):

       At the most basic level, a message is a series of characters. A
       message that is conformant with this standard is comprised of
       characters with values in the range 1 through 127 and interpreted as
       US-ASCII characters [ASCII].

    A NUL in a message body is not valid. That said, clearly neither
    Outlook nor Outlook Express should choke on such a message - I'm passing
    this information along to the appropriate people.

    Jeff Stephenson
    Microsoft Outlook Development

    -----
    Earn up to 10 credit course hours toward the TruSecure ICSA Practitioner (TICSA) Credential and receive a TICSA exam coupon by attending the Infosecurity Canada 2004 conference. Featured speaker, Marcus J. Ranum, TruSecure inventor of the proxy firewall will present on June 3 at 11:30 AM. Visit <https://ticsa.trusecure.com> for certification details and <http://www.infosecuritycanada.com> for conference information. Become TICSA certified and see what happens!
    -----