Re: Windows Update Error 0x800C0008 after updating the WU client

From: Steve Shockley (steve.shockley_at_SHOCKLEY.NET)
Date: 01/25/04

    Date:         Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:54:12 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Joe Dance wrote:
    > I have recently installed five new desktop computers. On two of the
    > five
    > systems, Windows Update is not working.

    I believe this is due to a Microsoft certificate expiring on 07-Jan-03. On
    the machine I experienced the problem on (Win2k Advanced Server SP3) I was
    able to resolve it by downloading the iuident.cab file manually (on an XP
    machine), exporting the signing certificate from the cab, then reimporting
    it on the server. The steps I took:

    Find iuident.cab, probably in C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
    Right-click, properties
    Digital Signatures tab
    Select cert, then Details button
    Details tab
    Copy to File... button
    Wizard: Next
    Select P7B, check "Include all...", then Next
    Give it a file name, then Next, then Finish.

    Copy that file to your broken machine, and double-click to install.

    Note that the expired cert also caused other problems; my server was an OWA
    front-end, the initial symptom was clients getting a message that our SSL
    cert had expired when it hadn't. It also only happened on one of two
    supposedly identical machines.

    -----
    NTBugtraq Editor's Note:

    I'm looking for an event at which I can speak in Australia, specifically near Brisbase, as close to Christmas as possible. Anyone interested in flying me down under at that time, please contact me at Russ.Cooper@rc.on.ca
    -----

    • RE: IIS Key pairs (how to export an IIS 4.0 self-issued Root CA a nd import into new IIS 4.0 box)
      ... it prompts the user for what client cert they want to use to connect to the ... it issues client certificates to the end users. ... Step I - Installing the New Server ... Install NT SP 3 ONLY ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Direct Push failed.
      ... he security certificatee on the server is invalid. ... If have this error which means my ISA is working correctly am i right? ... The way is to export out the root cert from the ... In some cases you will have to install the trusted root certificate. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
    • Re: Terminal Services over a VPN
      ... Create a certificate request and submit it to godaddy in order to obtain a public cert. ... You can use the wizard in IIS Manager for this by creating a new website that matches the above name (on your TS server), right-click and choose properties, directory security tab, server certificate button. ... After the install you can stop or delete the website created above since you don't need it for anything. ...
    • Re: Cingular 8125 and ActiveSynch
      ... What error message do you get when you copy the cert to the phone and click ... The last time I worried about it, Verizon ... They have a SBS Standard 2003 Server with all Service Packs (Exchange ... get the certs to install. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Windows 2003 sbs : multiple webs & SSL
      ... You can get them to install the cert though. ... > instance) and install it on the server. ... Forgetting about SSL for a moment, you CAN have different websites on ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)