Information Security Zeitgeist 2003 (patterns and trends for the security community)

abe.usher_at_SHARP-IDEAS.NET
Date: 01/21/04

    Date:         Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:38:56 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I have illustrated (graphically) the popular trends and topics of the
    INFOSEC community during 2003. The inspiration for my report is the Google
    Zeitgeist report which illustrates the top searches on Google.com during the
    preceding year.

    http://www.sharp-ideas.net/research/infosec_zeitgeist.html

    My findings are based on numerous security mailing list e-mails that I
    collected during 2003 and
    analyzed. The report is split into two sections: Year in Review and specific
    topics. As the famous IT philosopher Yogi Berra used to say "You can observe
    a lot by watching." I watched over 90,000 e-mail messages and this is what I
    observed. I hope you enjoy it.

    Cheers,
    Abe Usher, CISSP

    -----
    Editor's Note: The 43rd Most Powerful Person in Networking says...

    Out of Office replies to list messages cause you to be unsubscribed automatically. Either subscribe a Public Folder, or ensure your rules are set to ensure list messages are filtered prior to your Out of Office reply. Such automatic replies are a bane to posters, and cause us to have fewer researchers post to NTBugtraq.
    -----

    • Re: Link search order and override
      ... illustrates this problem and submit a bug ... report with clear instructions on how to reproduce it at the connect ... web site. ...
      (microsoft.public.vstudio.general)
    • Re: Free Will
      ... show that the report is based upon the same implementation details as our ... own consciousness. ... to describe that and the role of internal behaviour in external ... observe indirectly or not at all. ...
      (comp.ai.philosophy)
    • Re: Low-angle Elevation Gain of a 1/4-wave Vertical Monopole
      ... When I observe the operational characteristics of EZNEC (you report ... analysis for Mininec r-f ground (as you report you use above) THEN I ... The r-f loss of the radial system is accounted for in my model by the ...
      (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
    • Re: Fridays B.O. has left me feeling sick
      ... and for much the same reason (or maybe people just got ... OBSERVE AND REPORT has a lot more in common with Taxi Driver than it ... does Paul Blart, I had a great time seeing it today.- Hide quoted text - ...
      (rec.arts.movies.current-films)
    • Re: Strange NTP problem on AMD Geode LX cards.
      ... observe that the offset between local time and the external servers is ... Before submitting your report please do the following: ... Upgrade to the current ntp stable _or_ dev release ... Many OSes include statistics logging configuration lines in their sample ...
      (comp.protocols.time.ntp)