Upcoming Windows XP SP2 NX feature

From: Yuval Kashtan (kashtant_at_ZAHAV.NET.IL)
Date: 12/19/03

    Date:         Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:10:18 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    On their document: "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service
    Pack 2",
    Microsoft declares the following:
    "Although the only processor families with Windows-compatible hardware
    support for execution protection that are currently shipping are the AMD K8
    and the Intel Itanium processor families, it is expected that future 32-bit
    and 64-bit processors will provide execution protection. Microsoft is
    preparing for and encouraging this trend by supporting execution protection
    in its Windows operating systems."

    from that, I can understand they will support the NX feature only on new
    Intel processors 64-bit (and other processors such as AMD),
    But as far as I know, the NX (and PAE) feature is available on Intel
    processors since 286 or so.

    Did I misunderstood anything?
    Am I wrong?

    Regards,
    Yuval Kashtan.

    -----
    Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-
    Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message
    it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did
    not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble
    their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first
    place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for
    your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.
    -----

    • RE: Security and EOL issues (was RE: WMF Exploit Patch released)
      ... While I sympathies with those that feel that Microsoft is getting richer ... Compare AIX to Windows, ... software support for AIX Base Operating System 4.3.3. ... Every vendor releases new builds and patches, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Bring back XP
      ... I had to call Microsoft for support, ... that it's Microsoft fault that you don't know. ... Only certain editions of Vista have downgrade rights to XP. ... You don't get 2 licenses of Windows, one to use for Vista and another to ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • RE: Stop error message
      ... your Windows Server 2003-based computer ... we cannot help you analyze the dump file in ... Blue Screen Preparation Before Contacting Microsoft ... For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support phone ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • RE: Security and EOL issues (was RE: WMF Exploit Patch released)
      ... Why not set up paid upgrade systems using annual contracts? ... The commitment on the contract is to continue to support as long as contracts are paid with the restriction that the needed support mst be technically feasible and as timely notification as is possible when support is not technically feasible will be provided. ... While I sympathies with those that feel that Microsoft is getting richer ... Compare AIX to Windows, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: lets vote for better security
      ... WINDOWS SOFTWARE. ... > Once the operating system is developed, it's pretty hard to add more ... that put out more and better free tech support ... > enough initiative to go look at Microsoft. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)