Re: Problems with Exchange 2000 as open relay

From: rotaiv (rotaiv_at_BIAPO.COM)
Date: 12/17/03

    Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:08:14 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    At 12/16/2003 07:53 PM, Brian Bergin wrote:

    >At 13:16 16 12 03 Tuesday, you wrote:
    >>A further annoyance is that one of the "blacklist" sites actually wants $50
    >>before they will remove us from their list.
    >
    >Who is it? I'd sure like to know so I'm sure we don't use them for RBL
    >info. That's extortion and may be illegal in the US and many parts of the
    >world.

    I have had numerous people ask me what site is charging me $50 to be
    removed from their blacklist.

    The RBL is: http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net

    To be specific, our server was listed in the "Database of servers sending
    to spamtrap addresses" for which there is no "automated removal". For
    servers listed in the "open relay" section, there is an automated removal
    with having to pay $50. Naturally, we have challenged this policy but the
    only way to contact this site is via email. The automated response said,
    "due to the volume of emails we receive it may be 7 days before we
    respond". I'll try to be professional and refrain from expressing the
    remainder of my thoughts...

    rotaiv

    -----
    Most viruses these days use spoofed email addresses. As such, using an Anti-
    Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message
    it believes is infected may well cause more harm than good. Someone who did
    not actually send you a virus may receive the notification and scramble
    their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first
    place. Suggest such notifications be disabled by whomever is responsible for
    your AV, or at least that the idea is considered.
    -----

    • Re: Half-Life 2 source code stolen through IE exploit
      ... Jeff Tucker ... Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message ... their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • ICANN Askes Verisign to stop
      ... Griffith Phillips Creative ... Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message ... their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Problems with Exchange 2000 as open relay
      ... I've tried to summarize the responses here so there is something in the archives about this. ... Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message ... their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Info on XP sp2s ICF deploying in a managed environment
      ... settings in a managed environment. ... Virus product which automatically notifies the perceived sender of a message ... their support staff to find an infection which never existed in the first ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • MS tool to disinfect Code Red II
      ... on the list the appropriate solution to a Code Red II infection is ... NOT ELIMINATE THE EFFECT OF OTHER VARIANTS OF THE WORM. ... WORM ON INTERNAL SERVERS THAT ARE PROTECTED FROM THE INTERNET BY A ROUTER ... MICROSOFT RECOMMENDS THAT INFECTED INTERNET-FACING SERVERS ...
      (Incidents)