Re: How IE handles URL's

From: David Boyle (David.Boyle_at_ED.TADPOLE.COM)
Date: 12/15/03

    Date:         Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:20:59 -0000
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    <snip>

    Just to clarify - a BSTR is a length-prefixed string of OLECHARs (Unicode
    chars) that may contain NULLs.

    <snip>

    > Anyway, urlmon.dll should be the only file changed... and
    > everyone on this
    > list needs to know that IE is very COM based and therefore
    > everything is
    > broken down into a number of little objects, each of which
    > has to be perfect
    > to prevent lame bugs like this one... Apparently they are not...

    <snip>

    COM-based does not imply "little objects, each of which has to be
    perfect..." Indeed, COM is often used in conjunction with the Facade design
    pattern which results in a single COM object being used to represent a group
    of inter-related C++ objects. As for having to be perfect to prevent lame
    bugs - this doesn't make much sense to me. What is it about COM that
    mandates perfection?

    Cheers,

    Dave

    -----
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message?

    This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message. This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you''ll have to copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----

    • Re: substring finding problem!
      ... banono going right to left without overlap ... <snip naming dropping rant> ... the string. ... something at which C programmers suck because C sucks at it. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Efficency and the standard library
      ... could represent this as a negative string length. ... Heathfield labors mightily to stay inside the Game: ... And so the Combatants turn once more to their game of reading C. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: The Philosophy of Programming?
      ... less trivial to ensure that the string length has not been altered. ... > lowers psychological complexity for most intelligent readers. ... For most intelligent programmers, the laziness principal applies. ...
      (comp.programming)
    • Re: A C++ Whishlist
      ... > people from inclusion in a standard. ... > creating their own string class. ... >>don't want an ever increasing size of exception specification on each ...
      (comp.lang.cpp)
    • Re: Hash functions (was: Maximum String size in Java?)
      ... snip ... ... Inserted with sx31hsh and ssfh_ph in 0.385 secs ... your string library has problems with them speaks for itself. ... published your SFH code with the shifted and undersized ints. ...
      (comp.programming)