Re: Exchange 2003 OWA major security flaw

From: Martin Blackstone (MBlackstone_at_SUPERIORACCESS.COM)
Date: 11/26/03

    Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:38:59 -0800
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Updated Info regarding this issue:
    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/support/e2k3owa.asp

    -----Original Message-----
    [mailto:NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM] On Behalf Of Matthew Johnson
    Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 7:24 PM
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM
    Subject: Exchange 2003 OWA major security flaw

    We have upgraded our servers to Microsoft Exchange 2003 and noticed a severe
    security issue with OWA. When you log in with your own credentials you may
    be logged into another user's mailbox at random and has full access to this
    user's mailbox. Microsoft knows of the issue but does not have a fix yet. I
    was wondering how many others have seen this issue and have received the
    same answer from Microsoft.

    This seems to be a major security flaw and we have had to shut off OWA
    indefinitely because of the issue.

    Matthew Johnson CCNA

    Network Administrator

    Investment Scorecard, Inc.

    615.301.7611

    mjohnson@investmentscorecard.com

    www.investmentscorecard.com <http://www.investmentscorecard.com/>

    -----
    Marcus Ranum's new book "The Myth of Homeland Security" is now out and is
    available from http://www.amazon.com/ranum In this hard-hitting review of
    the homeland security business, Ranum shows us how the problem is vastly
    harder than it's being made to sound, and how special interests, butt
    covering, and bureaucracy are threatening to derail any chance of making
    progress.
    -----

    ----
    NTBugtraq subscribers save $103.00 off the TICSA exam by using promo
    code "NT1003" when registering to take the TICSA exam at www.2test.com.
    Prove to your employer and peers that you have the knowledge and
    abilities to be an active stakeholder in today's enterprise security.
    Become TICSA certified www.trusecure.com/ticsa.  Promotion expires
    12/31/03 and cannot be used in combination with other offers.
    ----