Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-049 - Installation problems?

From: Miller, Todd (todd-miller_at_UIOWA.EDU)
Date: 11/13/03

    Date:         Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:32:47 -0600
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I am applying patches using SUS Feature Pack for SMS. Beginning two days
    ago, my XP SP 1 systems began to detect that 828035 (MS03-043) was not
    installed even though it shows up in the Add/Remove programs. If users
    choose to install the patch, it will install, but the next day it will be
    detected as missing again. I have re-downloaded the patch (I may have had a
    pre-Oct 29th one in the SMS SUS package) into the SUS for SMS system and
    will see if that fixes it.

    The current mssecure.xml segment for Windows XPSP1 and MS03-049 references
    828035 (MS03-043) as the required patch for the issue described MS03-049 on
    XPsp1 machines.

    I think that if Microsoft needs to make a change to a patch, then that is a
    new patch that should be given a new patch number and the old patch number
    should be taken out of use. This is just crazy.

    ----
    NTBugtraq subscribers save $103.00 off the TICSA exam by using promo
    code "NT1003" when registering to take the TICSA exam at www.2test.com.
    Prove to your employer and peers that you have the knowledge and
    abilities to be an active stakeholder in today's enterprise security.
    Become TICSA certified www.trusecure.com/ticsa.  Promotion expires
    12/31/03 and cannot be used in combination with other offers.
    ----

    • SMS 2003 vs SUS
      ... I have a client that has been actively using SUS server to deploy patches. ... We are installing SMS 2003 and they would prefer to use the SUS server for ... Is there a way to add all the updates into SMS that show up in SUS using ... patch installation status for all the machines. ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
    • Re: Patch management and SMS 2003
      ... Depends which "SUS package" you are referring to, ... Sms currently can not get its updates from a SUS server. ... you to reuse your patch packages. ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
    • MS04-15 not beeing detected by MSBA nor SMS 2.0+SUS!!!
      ... SMS 2.0 + SUS. ... I detected that the update was in the xml patch ... Why does this happend? ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.tools)
    • MS04-15 not beeing detected by MSBA nor SMS 2.0+SUS!!!
      ... SMS 2.0 + SUS. ... I detected that the update was in the xml patch ... Why does this happend? ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.swdist)
    • Re: sms 2003 patch management is brutal!
      ... SMS client computer to run this taks. ... >> You don't re-select it when running the Distribute Software Updates>> Wizard. ... SMS patch management is>>>> extremely ... >>>>> requires a reboot is installed without rebooting the patch isn't ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)