Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-049 - Buffer Overrun in the Workstation Service Could Allow Code Execution (828749)

From: Knight, Jim (Jim.Knight_at_YUM.COM)
Date: 11/11/03

    Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:51:14 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Patch management becomes even more complex....

    From the MS03-049 bulletin:
    ----8< ----
    Note: The Windows XP security updates that released on October 15th as
    part of Security Bulletin MS03-043 (828035) include the updated file
    that helps protect from this vulnerability. If you have applied the
    Windows XP security updates for MS03-043 (828035) you do not have to
    reapply this update. However, the Windows 2000 security update that is
    released as part of this security bulletin contains updated files that
    were not part of the MS03-043 (828035) security bulletin. Customers have
    to apply this Windows 2000 security update even if they applied the
    Windows 2000 security updates for MS03-043 (828035).
    ---->8----

    Questions that arise from this bulletin:

    Why was Windows XP included in the list of vulnerable systems?
    Does MS03-049 supercede MS03-043 (but only on Windows 2000 systems)?
    There is a link to download the patch for Windows XP systems, when you
    click on it, you are directed to the MS03-043 download page.

    From a pure consitency standpoint we now have 2 vulnerabilities which
    are patched in 2 different ways, on 2 different OS's and even though
    Windows XP is listed as vulnerable it is in reality not vulnerable to
    049 but only vulnerable to 043 or is that, this bufferoverrun was found
    for the 043 patch for XP, but wasn't fixed for Windows 2000.

    Oh well, at least I have Job Security...

    This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, (i) please do not read or disclose to others, (ii) please notify the sender by reply mail, and (iii) please delete this communication from your system. Failure to follow this process may be unlawful. Thank you for your cooperation.

    ----
    NTBugtraq subscribers save $103.00 off the TICSA exam by using promo
    code "NT1003" when registering to take the TICSA exam at www.2test.com.
    Prove to your employer and peers that you have the knowledge and
    abilities to be an active stakeholder in today's enterprise security.
    Become TICSA certified www.trusecure.com/ticsa.  Promotion expires
    12/31/03 and cannot be used in combination with other offers.
    ----

    • Re: How do I stop from having to click the Icon to laod personal s
      ... I did have the security updates for 2.0, ... I've gotten Windows XP SP2 loaded and configured and all of ... Download and install TweakUI from Microsoft. ... Enter the name of your user account in the User Name box. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
    • Re: Windows Xp - MS Photo Editor stopped working after 03/02 updat
      ... Did you have to re-enable Automatic Updates on 02 MAR? ... security updates had not been installed. ... able to crop a JPEG file. ... Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - FEB 2010 ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: KB983583; KB982524 fail to install
      ... Files in This Download ... no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY ... Start a free Windows Update support incident email request: ... Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: KB951748
      ... Support for Windows Update: ... How do they download the fix when MS find one? ... security updates, I uninstalled them both, re-booted and was ... followed the same install - uninstall procedure of the security ...