Strange behavor on with newly installed Windows XP SP1a and MS03-040

From: Pål Axelsson (Pal.Axelsson_at_ITS.UU.SE)
Date: 10/17/03

    Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:51:50 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hi,

    I have had an strange problem with a newly installed XP machine and
    MS03-040. This machine hasn’t installed any previously Internet Explorer
    Cumulative Patch because the machine wasn’t around before the patch.

    The problem is that Windows Automatic Updates want to install Q324929
    (MS02-068) on and on even if I was installed and then rebooted. Next time
    Automatic Update runs it informs me that it want’s to install the patch
    again and so on. After talking with Microsoft they advised me to install
    Q822925 (MS03-004) but it will install with the error message that I need
    Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 which is installed.

    Since we got anew machine in the end of august that installed Q822925
    (MS03-032) that haven’t had the same problem I have installed the same patch
    on the new machine and thereafter it seems not to have problem any more but
    it says that I have to install Q828750 (MS03-040) again. So it seems that
    Microsoft has done something wrong with MS03-040.

    Pål Axelsson

    ----
    NTBugtraq subscribers save $103.00 off the TICSA exam by using promo
    code "NT1003" when registering to take the TICSA exam at www.2test.com.
    Prove to your employer and peers that you have the knowledge and
    abilities to be an active stakeholder in today's enterprise security.
    Become TICSA certified www.trusecure.com/ticsa.  Promotion expires
    12/31/03 and cannot be used in combination with other offers.
    ----

    • Re: Office 2003 Updates error - ouerror.gif (0/1)
      ... it would not let me install ... attempting to install any of the individual, downloaded patch EXE?s? ... No valid sequence could be found for the set of patches. ... Office Professional Edition 2003 Version 11.0.6361.0: ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • Errors applying kernel patch 118833-36
      ... install of Solaris 10 11/06. ... However, once the package list is done, I see a worrisome message: ... Below is the complete console output of the patch run. ... Changes for package SUNWnfsskr will not be applied to the system. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • problem installing patches ufter upgrade of Solaris 10u2
      ... download directory. ... Failed to install patch 119081-23. ... Reason code:0 ...
      (SunManagers)
    • OpenOffice? OMG!! Has ANYONE actually managed to install it?
      ... How do I send a patch ... The 'hedabu' action is particularly interesting, inasmuch that it cosmetically re-formats the header to shrink it on install. ... Getting an OO.o CVS account ... Using patch / diff ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Same Problem
      ... Now as a result can't get windows running again any thoughts on how I can get around this? ... So I am a good techie and patch my system regularly. ... update says I have xx patches to install. ... So I get my Vista DVD and do a repair. ...