Re: MS Office 2003 Customer Experience Feedback Program

From: Steve Shockley (steve.shockley_at_SHOCKLEY.NET)
Date: 10/24/03

    Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:31:12 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Jeff Click wrote:
    > Microsoft. They are not very specific about the details. See
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/ceip/english/default.htm

    They seem reasonably detailed under "What types of information do you
    collect?". I know in some OS betas they ask to send information about
    *every* error message you get (even third-party programs).

    > It is not enabled by default and does not appear to send any
    > information until it is enabled. However, it still makes me nervous,
    > since it is not appropriate for our environment and many users may
    > enable it. Does anyone out there have better details on this buggar?
    > Also, does anyone know how it can be turned off via GPO or SMS, etc.
    > (i.e. any idea where the registry keys are for this setting)?

    Try emailing askceip at microsoft.com, you'd probably want to disable it via
    GPO as well as at the firewall/proxy. In the Office Resource Kit, you can
    disable it under "Change Office User Settings" under Office 2003 (User) /
    Improved Error Reporting, assuming you're using an admin install or are able
    to apply the transform via other means.

    ----
    NTBugtraq subscribers save $103.00 off the TICSA exam by using promo
    code "NT1003" when registering to take the TICSA exam at www.2test.com.
    Prove to your employer and peers that you have the knowledge and
    abilities to be an active stakeholder in today's enterprise security.
    Become TICSA certified www.trusecure.com/ticsa.  Promotion expires
    12/31/03 and cannot be used in combination with other offers.
    ----