Last Two Critical Updates (IE-828750 and Windows Media Player-828 026)

From: Asadoorian, Mike (mike.asadoorian_at_UNISYS.COM)
Date: 10/07/03

    Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:32:43 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Russ,

    Something strange happened with these last two updates. I have some systems
    scheduled to use Automatic Updates to download/install/reboot. On multiple
    XP SP1 systems, the updates installed but the systems did not restart.
    Instead there was a dialog box asking to restart. In the past, they have
    rebooted automatically. The same hotfixes installed on W2K boxes through
    Automatic Update did reboot automatically. I'm not sure if this is a bug or
    normal. I just wanted to see if others have also come across this or maybe
    MS changed something recently in terms of critical updates.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    -----
    Want to reply to the person who sent this message?

    This list is configured such that just hitting reply is going to result in
    the message coming to the list, not to the individual who sent the message.
    This was done to help reduce the number of Out of Office messages posters
    received. So if you want to send a reply just to the poster, you''ll have to
    copy their email address out of the message and place it in your TO: field.
    -----

    • Re: Server Shutdown following Windows Update
      ... Given the importance of the SBS server to the network, ... idea to be around when updates are applied. ... and it's good practice to check the event logs after a restart. ... > Source: Automatic Updates ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Windows XP auto updates stinks!!
      ... a dialog keeps coming up - every few minutes - asking "Do you want to restart the PC". ... I wouldn't say what happened to you is due solely to the automatic updates default choice to reboot now. ... You do, after all, have the mouse pointer snap too function enabled, and you chose to have the system download and install updates automatically. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Reporting Hackers
      ... Have you patched the programs OTHER than Windows XP/Norton using their ... Patches and Updates! ... How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP ... are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
    • Re: How to prevent automatic restart of computer at system update
      ... Configure Automatic Updates in a Non–Active Directory Environment ... I was wondering if there was a way of "stopping" the automatic restart of my computer each time Windows XP gets an automatic update. ... In other words, I am fine with getting the automatic updates, but I'm wondering if there's any way to tell the system not to restart itself on its own when it gets those updates, and to allow *me* to decide when the computer can be restarted. ...
    • Re: WSUS 3.0
      ... POLICY!!AutoUpdateCfg ... AutoUpdateCfg="Configure Automatic Updates" ... If any of the updates require a restart to complete the installation, Windows will restart the computer automatically. ...