Half-Life 2 source code stolen through IE exploit

From: Thor Larholm (thor_at_PIVX.COM)
Date: 10/03/03

    Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:39:46 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    In the words of Gabe Newell, Managing Director of Valve Software:

    "Well, this sucks. "

    http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=e6e7d0ce0abe19997425ef50fa7fe1df&threadid=10692

    This is what happens when you have 31 publicly known unpatched vulnerabilities
    in IE (see signature). I have seen screenshots of successfully compiled HL2
    installations, with WorldCraft and Model Viewer running atop a listing of
    directories such as hl2, tf2 and cstrike.

    Regards
    Thor Larholm
    PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher
    http://pivx.com/larholm/unpatched - 31 Unpatched IE Security Vulnerabilities

    -----
    Wondering as to whether the list is running? The NTBugtraq archives are
    updated first before messages are emailed to subscribers. Check the
    archives first to see if you have missed any messages;

    http://www.ntbugtraq.com/archives

    -----

    • Re: DNS/Hosts file issues - Update #2
      ... Disabling the application/hta MIME type is effective; ... Russ - NTBugtraq Editor ... The NTBugtraq archives are ... archives first to see if you have missed any messages; ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: DNS/Hosts file issues - Update #5 - final
      ... Thanks to everyone who submitted so much valuable data in such a short period of time. ... Russ - NTBugtraq Editor ... The NTBugtraq archives are ... archives first to see if you have missed any messages; ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: DNS/Hosts file issues - Update #5 - final
      ... I refer to point 4 section m. ... On my w2k running systems however is the Tcpip hive under the Services ... The NTBugtraq archives are ... archives first to see if you have missed any messages; ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: DNS/Hosts file issues - Update #4
      ... It changes the HostName entry from what it's originally set as to "host" and adds the other entries around it. ... Russ - NTBugtraq Editor ... The NTBugtraq archives are ... archives first to see if you have missed any messages; ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: DNS/Hosts file issues - Update #3
      ... Also, stating it would likely have caused many to go to it, this has been my experience in the past. ... Russ - NTBugtraq Editor ... The NTBugtraq archives are ... archives first to see if you have missed any messages; ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)