ICMP Ping and Group Policy Update

From: Information Security (InformationSecurity_at_FEDERATEDINV.COM)
Date: 09/30/03

    Date:         Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:00:54 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    it appears that this also has disabled group policy updates for remote
    VPN users. We ran network traces and saw the ICMP packets, I think
    they're part of the negotiation phase where the server tries to
    determine if the client is on a slow link.

    I suspect a lot of networks cranked down on ICMP after Nachi. Can
    anyone else confirm this behavior? Does anyone have a workaround or
    configuration setting to override/bypass this feature?

    Thanks!

    ----
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!
    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available.  And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to
    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/
    ----

    • Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-039
      ... The way that Microsoft patched the new RPC Part II vulnerability ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... To learn more about the TICSA certification, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Windows 2000 server issue
      ... accurately parse the lists of vulnerable machines produced by the scan ... of addresses directly on the script. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE ... access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. ... And now, for a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Microsoft Numbering System
      ... the patch for each systems affected. ... in the right frame. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: SP4 Problems
      ... Rebooted numerous times, all ... Rebooting to safe mode produced an extremely slow logon, ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)